Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Difference Between Perchloric Acid And Sulphuric Acid In Lab Analysis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 bhdrsc

bhdrsc

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

For the labarotary analysisi, what are the differences between Perchloric Acid And Sulphuric Acid? If i use perchloric acid instead of sulphuric acid, what will be the result?

#2 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

As the first responder, I guess I get to give the most obvious difference: perchloric acid is a monoprotic acid where sulphuric acid is a diprotic acid. So, if the acidic character is a quantitative part of the analysis, you may need to account for this difference.

It also seems that perchlorate salts are generally soluble in water. Some sulphate salts are minimially soluble, and sulphuric acid may be preferred reagent because the salt will precipitate out. If precipitation of a sulphate salt is a part of your analysis, the use of perchloric acid probably defeats this purpose.

Your question is very generic, and I'm not sure how many generic answers there are.

#3 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:58 PM

Sulfuric acid is a dissolving acid. Reacts with oxides of metals giving soluble sulfates (except a few such as Barium sufate, Lead sulfate). Whereas perchloric acid is a strong oxidizing agent. It oxidizes organic matter also apart from some inorganic compounds. By strength it is weaker than sulfuric acid. Perchloric acid is a monovalent acid and sulfuric acid is a divalent acid. Please refer to any book on Inorganic Analysis for more.or Wikipedia.