Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pipe Spec Break

pipe spec

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 shivaprasad

shivaprasad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:36 PM

Pipe spec where we need to specify... I have attached file, there are three cases which one is correct to show pipe spec.

Basically it is  Fuel gas connection to flare header.

Attached Files

#2 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:51 AM

For me, as long as it is understandable where the needed spec break location it should be ok regardless of how it represent in the P&ID. It just a cosmetic issue. The main thing is make sure it is at correct location i.e. if the spec break is downstream of the valve, don’t put it at the upstream of the valve.

Kindly refer hand sketch for my previous practice. 

Attached Files

#3 shivaprasad

shivaprasad

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:54 AM

what it means  I couldn't understand  farid.k ""if the spec break is downstream of the valve, don't put it at the upstream of the valve"

#4 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:47 PM

what it means  I couldn't understand  farid.k ""if the spec break is downstream of the valve, don't put it at the upstream of the valve"

dear shiva,

"Spec break" happens where there is a change from one significant design condition to another.

For example, at up stream of the PSV there is a design condition with a higher pressure that requiring a higher pipe spec i.e. 300# rating pipe spec.  Down stream of the PSV there is a flare collection system (or atmosphere) with a much lower design condition which is not necessary to use 300# rating. Thus it is more reliable & economical to use 150#.  Therefore there would be a "spec break" at the downstream side of the PSV.

hope this help