Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Relieve Device Discharge Line Size

psv discharge relieve tail

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 farhan ahmed

farhan ahmed

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:23 AM

I have come across a problem regarding the discharge line size of psv. 

PSV tail pipe is sized based on the Rated flow of PSV . Due to this Discharge line dia become higher than the main header.

Can we go for the larger  tail pipe size than the main header . Please give suggestion and codes and industry practices recommendations.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:00 AM

PSV tail pipe is sized based on the Rated flow of PSV . Due to this Discharge line dia become higher than the main header.

Can we go for the larger  tail pipe size than the main header . Please give suggestion and codes and industry practices recommendations.

Hi,

This can be happened if 1) there would be high difference between required and rated flow of PSV and 2) there is just one PSV at any time from which the relevant relief will be handled by flare main header and the relief from a PSV with highest required relief area has been considered as governing case.

In such rare case you can take the same size of PSV tail pipe for the main header...

#3 farhan ahmed

farhan ahmed

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:28 AM

Thanks Fallah 

Actually I am working on the existing flarenetwork and PSV to be added in the existing system. Here I want to avoid the changes in existing flare header. For this case , can I use the higher tail pipe size than the existing header size as I am considering rated flow in tail pipe.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:33 AM

Thanks Fallah 

Actually I am working on the existing flarenetwork and PSV to be added in the existing system. Here I want to avoid the changes in existing flare header. For this case , can I use the higher tail pipe size than the existing header size as I am considering rated flow in tail pipe.

You can, but the relieving bottleneck will be shifted from tail pipe to main header...!

#5 Sardar Shahnawaz

Sardar Shahnawaz

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:45 AM

Hi Farhan,

Please note that if you are having problem related to the back pressure and it resolves by increasing tail pipe size then it is OK, but you must also check velocity criteria for both header and tail pipe. 

#6 flarenuf

flarenuf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:02 AM

hi farhan

what is your calculated size for the tailpipe and what is your size for the header?

normally the tailpipe is sized for rated flow but once it reaches the main header you should be using design flow.

what are you sizing the TP on , backpressure or velocity ?

the built up back pressure from the tie in to header back to the PSV outlet flange shouldn't be that large surely ?

is this PSV flowing individually or part of a scenario ?

are you saying you have to have a large diameter TP in order to meet BP limits on valve ?

conventional PSV ?

please give more info

brian

#7 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

Seems that maybe you are not properly analyzing the system. If you provide details, we can all stop guessing.

Bobby

#8 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

Agree with Bobby. Proper sizing and piping for psv  is critical in process units for safety reasons.

s.ahmad

Edited by S.AHMAD, 27 January 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#9 farhan ahmed

farhan ahmed

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:17 PM

Dear Flarenuf

what is your calculated size for the tailpipe and what is your size for the header?

Calculated tail pipe size is 14'' and header size is 10''

normally the tailpipe is sized for rated flow but once it reaches the main header you should be using design flow.

what are you sizing the TP on , backpressure or velocity ? I am considering Backpressure.

the built up back pressure from the tie in to header back to the PSV outlet flange shouldn't be that large surely ? Back pressure is increasing largely. 

is this PSV flowing individually or part of a scenario ? PSV  is flowing in blocked oulet case.individually and collectively in fire scenario.

are you saying you have to have a large diameter TP in order to meet BP limits on valve ? YES

conventional PSV ?YES

#10 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

If you show us your calculation results, along with flow and properties, and a sketch with dimensions, maybe we can help. Something about your analysis seems wrong. But you fail to supply sufficient information.

Bobby

#11 flarenuf

flarenuf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:41 AM

judging by the lack of response in over 2 weeks to bobbys comment on this topic Farnhan i guess you have found out where you have gone wrong in your calcs

thanks for the update

#12 christopherchoa

christopherchoa

Gold Member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:03 PM

Any updates Farnhan?