Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Reduce Cod In Waste Water.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sateeshkumar830

sateeshkumar830

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:04 AM

How to decrease COD (Chemical oxyen demand ) in the effluent water. Intial COD Is 50k to 1 lakh. I want to get it below 5000. And the organic solvents mixed in that water are ethyl acetate, Methylene di choloride, toluene, HMDS, pyridene, Methanol Etc. Somebody suggested to use Hydrogen peroxide. I want treat 40kl per day . any other process are there. In our effluent out 40kl, 98% will be water only. Can we decrease it by any extraction method, using any organic solvent which is not miscible with water.
Thank you.

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

Hi ,

Let you Google Fenton process , you may find pointers . Aerobic treatment may be also another option ( Bacteria+oxygen(air) bubling) .

You should consider to talk to companies familiar with industrial waste water treatment .

Good luck

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 29 January 2016 - 01:38 AM.

#3 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

COD can be due to the presence of unsaturated inorganic and organic matter. Inorganic COD is due to the presence of oxidizable   inorganic compounds. Organic COD is due to the presence organic matter which is oxidizable.  Chlorination reduces inorganic COD almost completely. The reduction of organic COD will depend on the type of organic matter present and the chlorination time. First conduct a test on Chlorine demand and see the extent of reduction. This will give a clue.

#4 mukul kumar

mukul kumar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:06 AM

Respected professionals,

I would like to know whether the Fentons process has been successfully used to reduce COD  on a large industrial scale? I work in a PVC manufacturing company and because of the change over in various kind of grades that we produce, the waste water generated has different COD values. Many lab trials have shown that COD is effectively reduced by fentons process. But since the proposal is to employ this process for 75kl/day of waste water, I kindly seek your guidance about the practical aspects of its implementation. How should i proceed with the engineering aspects of it? How effective has it been in other plants where it was implemented?(if at all).

Kindly seek your advice 

Mukul Kumar Jha

#5 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:09 AM

Pl contact http://www.lenntech.com/fenton-reaction.html forose  and ask their client list

As advised earlier, please conduct chlorine demand tests continuously at all COD levels and arrive at the optimal values. You can determine COD also along with chlorine demand. Plot a graph between chlorine demand and COD of then  water. Dose in labotatory the chlorine required from the graph for that particular COD level, in one liter of sample. Conduct  COD test again. You can know the reduction in COD.

#6 mukul kumar

mukul kumar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

Thank you so much . It would be really of help for me. I would make lab trials as you suggested and then proceed according to the observations. 

I would also like to know if the overall COD in the wastewater is around 10000-15000, then is it enough to try to reduce it by going for sufficient aeration using a blower? Is the use of fentons reagent recommended if the COD values are in the above mentioned range? Are there any other simpler solutions apart from fentons process for the mentioned range of COD values?

Please advice 

Mukul Kumar Jha 

#7 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

Hi ,

COD in the range noted could be treated by aerobic treatment  . It's worth to perform lab tests .

http://www.gewater.c...7_treatment.jsp

Good luck

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 08 March 2016 - 01:35 AM.

#8 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

Since your effluent is from PVC plant, aeration may not help to reduce COD. However, you may try by aerating in the laboratory, one liter of effluent and determine COD before and after aeration. Chlorine is a stronger oxidizing agent than molecular oxygen. Molecular oxygen  (aeration) will be helpful in reducing BOD.

#9 mukul kumar

mukul kumar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

I am thankful to you all for your  valuable suggestions. I would try to proceed as suggested. 

Thanking you

Mukul Kumar Jha