Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Best Chemicals For Rust Removal

chemical rust cleaning chemicals clean

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Anshi harry

Anshi harry

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:02 AM

Hello friends i m new user here. Could anyone told me which chemicals are capable of removing rust, without
leaving any film or residue.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

Search Google for "carbon steel piping pickling"

#3 kirang11

kirang11

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

dry HCl

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

I use the electrolytic method of rust removal when possible. As long as the rusty piece can be submerged, the result is very satisfactory. No chemicals required except for a small amount needed for the electrolyte.

#5 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:38 PM

Dry HCl?  Anhydrous HCl can be stored in carbon steel.  It's when water is added it gets corrosive.

#6 Anshi harry

Anshi harry

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:39 AM

dry HCl

Okk but How we use dry HCL?? could you please elaborate the process?? 

#7 kirang11

kirang11

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

In our unit we have done acidizing using dry HCL. I assume you want to remove rust in some reactor circuit section. I will explain what we have done in our case. first we have circulated naptha free of water less than 10 wt ppm in the section where rust is to be removed. during this procedure the flow of naptha is ensured through bypass of controllers, standby pumps etc. H2 is introduced into naptha and normal operating conditions are maintained. Note the reactor now is without catalyst, drain all low points in the section being acidized to find any free water. changeover of pumps is also being taken during this procedure. Now I assume downstream to your reactor is stabilizer/stripper for which reboiling is started and its overhead gases being sent to scrubber. put fresh caustic (20% strength) into scrubber. Now check for water content in naptha that is being circulated is now showing moisture content less than 10wt ppm using some moisture analyzer.once moisture < 10ppm wt. now arrange anhydrous HCL cylinders chain them in upright position, use proper PPE. put the anhydrous HCL cylinder on a weighing scale (0-100Kg) and tie this cylinder with chain to some pillar. now a connecting line from cylinder to the reactor circuit is already arranged. slowly open the globe valve of the cylinder and observe the weight dropping to 95. close the valve.wait 1 hour then inject another 5kg by opening valve. do this continously on hourly basis. if the HCL weight doesnt decrease in cylinder throw Low pressure steam raise its pressure above the system pressure. whenever cylinder is being emptied fresh HCL cylinder is placed. during this procedure mositure probe is taken out of service. mositure readings are taken on daily basis. during this process whenever low point drain like control valve bypass LPD is opened a huge amount of water is found which is an indication that rust is being removed. draining is to be done at regular intervals.This procedure is repeated until no water is found. It may take 2-3 days. the HCl that is introduced in the section is being neutralized by fresh caustic in the scrubber, so it is also necessary to change the caustic whenever its strength is going down.Also during this procedure proper reboiling in stabilizer/stripper downstream to the reactor section is maintained. reading of HCL should show 1000ppm on stabilizer offgas going to scrubber and no HCL reading at stabilizer bottoms when measured with dragger tubes.  Rust is being removed when we dont find any water in the naptha that is being circulated in the section.I hope i explained in simplest way.

#8 asad.humam

asad.humam

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:22 PM

Hello, I am new user here.,

Can anyone know about "pickling of nitrogen (N2) line application" ?? is there any standard/code for this ??, is this mandatory or not ??

Regards