Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Evaluate Isobaric Specific Heat(Cp) And Thermal Conductivity(K)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Casper_0711

Casper_0711

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:24 AM

How to calculate isobaric specific heat (cp) and thermal conductivity(k) of spherical heat regenerator in given pressure and temperature ?

#2 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

How much detail do you need? Computation and estimation of these properties are often the subjects of entire chapters in a good textbook, which is probably more than can be recreated in a single internet forum post.

If you need a push in the right direction, you can compute Cp from your favorite EOS using appropriate departure functions and derivatives. I will assume that you have access to a good textbook that can describe the details of these calculations.

Thermal conductivity is not as readily derived from EOS's but there are other empirical and theoretical methods for computing it. The method of Stiel and Thodos is one that I see mentioned, there are others. Again, I will assume that you have access to a good textbook that will describe the details of your chosen computational method.

If you do not have access to a good text, one that is frequently mentioned here is Poling and Prausnitz's The Properties of Liquids and Gases.

If you need further help, I would suggest that you describe the equations you are trying to use and explain exactly where in the computation you are stuck.

#3 Casper_0711

Casper_0711

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:37 PM

I have to calculate thermal physical properties of spherical ball heat regenerator. They were given density of ball, diameter of ball,  pressure and temperature. Is it possible to calculate without experimental work?

#4 Said Salim

Said Salim

Gold Member

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:26 AM

I think you might be given the ball material of construction!