Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Co2 Recovery Plant

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 hasanasif

hasanasif

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:17 AM

Dear All,

I need help regarding where to place rotary blower in a flue gas co2 recovery system based on natural gas boiler. Is it better to place it after or before the direct contact cooler?.

Also we have two absorption towers. In one of them Monoethanol amine flows with the flow of flue and in one of the absorption towers the flow of Monoethanol amine is counter to that of the flue,is this correct?

Looking forward to answers.

Thanks

Hasan

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

Hasan:

I've given advice, information, data, and even supplied PFDs on this specific subject many times in the past on our Forums.

To obtain this information, all you have to do is use our SEARCH ENGINE and you can retrieve all the prior threads where you can find and download the information.

Let us know if you have any difficulty.

#3 hasanasif

hasanasif

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

Dear Art,

I have tried looking for the above information in all your previous threads regarding co2 recovery plants, however I can not find answers to these particular queries.

If you could shed some light on them it would be really helpful.

I am the owner of a textile mill based in Karachi, Pakistan. We have installed a co2 recovery plant on our natural gas fired boiler which has been designed and fabricated locally in Karachi,Pakistan. After much research I have come to a conclusion that based on our natural gas fired boiler consumption of 15,000 m3 of natural gas per 24 hour, our co2 recovery of 1200-1400 kg per day is very less.

I am in need of great help in order to increase my production. I have no engineering background however I do have sound understanding of the whole process.  My solution contains 15% MEA which is checked using a specific gravity meter as we have no other apparatus. Any guidance in this regards would be highly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Hasan

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

Hasan:

You say you are operating a textile mill and you have installed a CO2 recovery plant incorporating a natural gas-burning steam boiler.  You also state the recovery plant was designed and fabricated in Pakistan and that it is supposed to produce CO2 while burning 15,000 m3/24 hours (= 625 m3/hr).  You also say that you are employing a 15% (weight) MEA solution to capture the CO2 in the boiler flue gas.  The MEA solution strength is measured using a specific gravity meter.  This information gives rise to further required questions:

• How are you measuring your cubic meters of natural gas?  What I mean by this is: are the cubic meters at so-called "standard" conditions of 0 oC and 1 atmosphere or pressure?  Or are the cubic meters measured at another temperature and pressure?
  • Do you have a quantitative analysis of your natural gas fuel?  This is required to determine what should be the CO2 content in the flue gas - and what should be the rational expected CO2 production rate of recovery plant.
  • Do you dedicate 100% of all the steam produced by the boiler to reboil (regenerate) the rich MEA solution in the MEA reboiler?  If not, how do you regenerate your MEA reboiler?  A detailed Process Flow Diagram would be the proper way to give us all an accurate description of what you have installed.
  • Using a specific gravity instrument to determine MEA solution concentration is a very bad and inaccurate way to determine its strength.  You should use normal, standard laboratory titration methods.
  • You should be analyzing your MEA solution for the CO2 volumes in both the Rich and Lean MEA solution.
  • Who designed and fabricated your recovery plant?  Was it Lasani Engineering Works in Rawalpindi?  Can you furnish a copy of the P&ID (Piping and Instrumentation Diagram) as well as the PFD (Process Flow Diagram) showing the mass and heat balance?
  • If you are burning 625 m3/hr (measured at 60 oF and 14.696 psia) of pure methane, you should produce approximately 2,550 lb/hr of CO2 in the flue gas (approximately a metric tonne/hr).  What is your present CO2 production rate in kg/hr?

Please see the attached documents which are only a few of many Forum posts I have contributed to.  I can furnish more information, but I need to have specific data about your process and how it is put together.

I hope this helps.

Attached File  CO2 Combustion Plant.xlsx   90.51KB   45 downloads

Attached File  CO2 Direct Fired System.docx   75.71KB   37 downloads

#5 Muhammad Waqas

Muhammad Waqas

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:38 AM

Dear Hasan.

We are the designer, manufacturer of CO2 plants since 1983. Have installed 25MeT/day X 2 lines in Pak Arab Fertilizers as well (Natural Gas Cracking Based). Do contact us any time.

Regards,

Muhammad Waqas

+92 300 8736805