Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fire Water For Methanol Storage Tank

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:15 AM

Dear team,
How to know that,
1) the need of foam system for methanol storage tank? Do we need to inject foam solution in side the tank during fire?

2) letsay methanol stored in internal floating roof, is it at the top of the tank must have dedicated nozzle for the foam solution to be injected during fire case?

3) the need of sprinkler at the tank for cooling (for nearby tank) or is it can just by firewater monitor? I guess must do the heat radiation calculation and if the value exceed 25 kW/m2, fixed foam monitors is suffice.

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:24 AM

Farid.k

Consider the document attached to support your work.

Good luck

Breizh

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:23 AM

According to NFPA 30 (Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code), Methanol is Class IB liquid. The Code says: "fire-extinguishing system in accordance with an applicable NFPA standard shall be provided or shall be available for vertical atmospheric fixed-roof storage tanks larger than 50,000 gal (190 m3) capacity, storing Class I liquids, if located in a congested area where there is an unusual exposure hazard to the tank from adjacent property or to adjacent property from the tank."

You can start from there and see whether the tank in question qualifies for extinguishing system.

#4 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

Thanks breizh for the material. I get the percentage for the foam water mixture and i can make this as basis.. Thnks to zauberberg too.will refer to nfpa later.Any more can share especially for those who has experience to handle methanol storage? Maybe can share just a bit more detail for the typical fire water system at methanol

#5 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:31 PM

There are no prescriptive measures that can be optimal measures at the same time. We don't have any details about your particular case - the volumes, configurations, plot plan, other units in vicinity of the storage area, fluids involved, pressures, temperatures, codes and regulations that are mandatory to be followed, the extent of damage the plant/company is ready to accept etc. etc.

There is no "one size fits all" approach so you need to share a lot of details.