Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Use Of Flexible Connections In Hydrocarbon Systems (Oil, Gas)

flexible connections hoses hydrocarbons oil gas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

Hi,

Could someone please direct me to the code/standard that covers the use of flexible connections in different systems?

I know for a fact that drilling mud systems use flexible connections on all rotating equipment. Also, on topsides or process plants, they are sometimes used for non-hazardous systems like instrument air and seawater. I haven't seen on crude oil or natural gas systems before and I have been challenged by a client to prove we can't.

Logically, it doesn't make sense to me given the potential hazards if any upset happens which would end up with an explosion within seconds.

Your help is highly appreciated

Sherif

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Refer to API RP 17B "Flexible pipe" at http://mycommittees....3/n246annex.pdf  as well as to ISO 13628-2 or API 17J, "Specification for unbonded flexible pipe".

There is a chapter in ASME B31.4 "Offshore liquid pipeline systems", discussing the use and characteristics of flexible pipes

https://law.resource....b31.4.2002.pdf

Edited by Zauberberg, 08 March 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

API 17J can be found here: https://law.resource...pi.17j.2008.pdf

#4 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

Thanks alot Zauberberg .... appreciate your input :)

#5 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

This is just a summary of all the findings and feedback I got regarding this topic. I thought I should share it here

There is nothing mentioned in the codes that prohibits the use of flexible hoses for hydrocarbons (oil and gas). However, the operating and maintenance programs that should be put in place to ensure their integrity and to avoid leaks, explosion...etc are very strict and practically, it is very difficult to follow them. One of the things is the physical damage due to a dropped object which requires alot of guards to be installed around.

If anyone wants to discuss more into details, I will be happy to do so :)

All the best and thanks

Sherif

#6 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

What do you want to use the flexible hoses for? What is the application and what are the operating/design parameters?

We have successfully used flexible hoses for Wellsite/manifold station gas compressor suction and discharge lines. Operating pressure 700 kPaa (suction), 1700 kPaa (discharge).

#7 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

It is planned to connect two platforms together through a cantilever bridge. The bridge is fixed on one platform up to approximately 10 meters away from the other one. The operator is reluctant to extend it and support it from the other side and that's why they are investigating the possible use of hoses (crazy I know).

So we are going back with all the pros and cons stating that is doesn't make any sense to have them this way in addition to all safety concerns. Pressures are quite higher here and we are close to convince them not to pursue this option.

#8 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:42 PM

I still don't get the picture of the service these flexible lines would be used for. Is it a production manifold, linking one platform to the other? Can you submit a sketch, with clear description of the parameters and design intentions?