Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Heterogeneous Catalysis Kinetics And Void Fraction

heterogeneous catalysis kinetics hysys void fraction

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 trituty1989

trituty1989

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:04 AM

Hi,

I am currently tasked to take charge of a reactor section of a simulation design project to produce Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM). The simulation software utilized is ASPEN Hysys v.8.6.

Problem: Using a PFR and heterogeneous catalysis type reaction, i input the complex kinetics given in a literature. However, since the rate units in the paper was given as mol/min-g, i multiplied the density of particle to obtain hysys units of mol/min-cm^3. Does this make sense if i did not multiply in the fraction of catalyst in the tube (1-void fraction)?

example: void fraction used is 0.8 therefore catalyst fracion is 0.2. Rate units (mol/g-min) multiply by 1.935g/cm^3 catalyst density multiply by 0.2.

If lets say i change the void fraction in the parameters page of the reactor, will the kinetics also change accordingly? O

#2 _Chemist_

_Chemist_

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

I think it is not needed to multiply void fraction with your kinetic data. I think Aspen alreadly calculate void fraction automatically,when you change kinetics. But you should multiply your kinetic data with density value to get proper unit for aspen.  

Edited by Hsnbrg, 19 March 2016 - 05:54 PM.

#3 trituty1989

trituty1989

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

I think it is not needed to multiply void fraction with your kinetic data. I think Aspen alreadly calculate void fraction automatically,when you change kinetics. But you should multiply your kinetic data with density value to get proper unit for aspen.  

Got it! Thanks!