Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Cooled Tubular Reactor Ss Duty Calculation Option In Hysys

cooled tubular reactor hysys heat transfer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 trituty1989

trituty1989

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

I'm having a problem that i cannot seem to troubleshoot. My design team was tasked to carry out a simulation of the production of VAM using aspen hysys v8.6. We have come up with a successfully converged system for the first part of the project and right now I'm in charge with optimizing the reactor section. Since the conversion of ethylene was originally at ~9% using the heat transfer tab under the Design parameters page of the reactor set to Direct Q value, i thought in order to carry out a more 'real' process is to switch to the 'Formula' option of the SS Duty calculation option. The coolant I'm using is water-steam at 8bar ~130degC. But the problem is that when i switch to this formula option, the conversion drops to 0.4%. I've increased the flowrate of the coolant and it does not make much of a difference, even changing the dimensions didn't help. I can't upload my hysys file here but if there are any kind souls with sharper eyes and mind, i could send it over to your email.

#2 shantanuk100

shantanuk100

Gold Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

HI Trituty,

Could you mention the types of reaction and reactor you have considered and kinetic reaction parameters if any ?

Also, could you mention the balanced reaction that you have considered as the reaction set for the reactor, if it is not proprietary ?

Regards,

Shantanu

#3 trituty1989

trituty1989

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:23 AM

HI Trituty,

Could you mention the types of reaction and reactor you have considered and kinetic reaction parameters if any ?

Also, could you mention the balanced reaction that you have considered as the reaction set for the reactor, if it is not proprietary ?

Regards,

Shantanu

Hi Shantanu,

The reaction is as follows:

C2H4 +CH3COOH + 0.5 O2 -> CHOCOCH3 + H2O

and the secondary reaction is 

C2H4 +3O2 -> 2CO2 +2H2O

with impurities of ethane in the ethylene feed stream and formic acid in the acetic acid stream. The reactor considered in this case is a shell and tube heat exchanger type of reactor and the overall reaction rates are as follows:

R1= 0.1036e(-3674/T) ((pEpHAcpO(1+1.17pW))/((1+0.583pO(1+1.7pW))(1+6.8pHAc))

R2= 1.935x10^5 (-10116/T)((pO(1+0.68pW))/(1+0.76pO(1+0.68pW))

These can be found in the Luyben paper "Design and Control of a Modified Vinyl Acetate Monomer Process"