Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

De-Pressurising Requirement Within 15 Min

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 arvind

arvind

Gold Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hi All,

I am working for the shell projects and wanted to clarify the requirement given in sell DEP 80.45.10.12-Gen. (EMERGENCY DEPRESSURING AND SECTIONALIZING) for the following statement:

“Depressure the equipment to 7 bar (ga) (100 psig), or 50 % of design pressure, whichever is lower, within 15 min.”

Is it mean if my equipment design pressure is 100 barg then it can be depressurized to 50 barg in 15 minutes or 7 barg in 15 minutes.

This make me confused because in the statement given in Shell DEP it says "whichever is lower" is it mean lower between 7 barg and 50 barg (50% of design pressure), then 7 barg will be final pressure in 15 minutes or

whichever achieve first between 7 barg and 50 barg, in this case 50 barg is can be achieve first.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Arvind

#2 shvet

shvet

Gold Member

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:31 AM

Hi

Shell practices are more stringent then those in API 521. For more information see API 521 4.6.6 "Depressuring rates". Shell DEP provides both criterions:

- vessel wall temperature versus stress (50 % / 15 min)

- vessel leak or failure (100 psig / 15 min)

In your case  it means 7 barg within 15 min.

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

Hi All,

I am working for the shell projects and wanted to clarify the requirement given in sell DEP 80.45.10.12-Gen. (EMERGENCY DEPRESSURING AND SECTIONALIZING) for the following statement:

“Depressure the equipment to 7 bar (ga) (100 psig), or 50 % of design pressure, whichever is lower, within 15 min.”

Is it mean if my equipment design pressure is 100 barg then it can be depressurized to 50 barg in 15 minutes or 7 barg in 15 minutes.

This make me confused because in the statement given in Shell DEP it says "whichever is lower" is it mean lower between 7 barg and 50 barg (50% of design pressure), then 7 barg will be final pressure in 15 minutes or

whichever achieve first between 7 barg and 50 barg, in this case 50 barg is can be achieve first.

arvind,

In your case the final pressure will be 7 barg and depressuring should be done within 15 min...but now the criteria, per new editions of API 521 has been changed to:

"...reducing the equipment pressure from initial conditions to a level equivalent to 50 % of the vessel design pressure within approximately 15 min."

Then in new editions 7 barg will be considered as final pressure of depressuring just when depressuring system is designed to reduce the consequences from a vessel leak.

#4 arvind

arvind

Gold Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Fallah for your response.

So did you mean no benefit of vessel thickness to be considered now (as per both shell DEP and API)?

As per old API 521, if vessel thickness is equal or more than 1", then final depressuring pressure could be 50% design pressure i.e. 50 barg (50% of 100 barg) in this case (for taking credit of wall thickness) in first 15 min of time interval .

Regards,

Arvind

#5 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:46 PM

So did you mean no benefit of vessel thickness to be considered now (as per both shell DEP and API)?

As per old API 521, if vessel thickness is equal or more than 1", then final depressuring pressure could be 50% design pressure i.e. 50 barg (50% of 100 barg) in this case (for taking credit of wall thickness) in first 15 min of time interval .

arvind,

If thickness would be lower than 1", depressuring should be done faster than 15 min with the same final pressure i.e. 50% of the vessel design pressure...