Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation Column Diameter

distillation column diameter oil gas petroleum chemical chemicals industry height and diameter cost

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 LoaiSowwan

LoaiSowwan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

so i have this project which is designing a distillation column. the design is theoritical so nothing is exactly 100% right and alot of errors is expected, but again it is theoritical and there is values are based on assumptions. i got most of the values i need but i don't know how to calcuate the diameter of the column.

the distillation tower is an deethanizer and iam using it to separate ethane and propane (ignoring water and CO2).

assuming my column temperature is 72 Fehrenheit and my column pessure is 270 psia.

i got the relative volatility by getting the K values of my componenets and divided K of ethane on the K of propane and the relative volatility is 3.2

iam using sieve trays in the column with an efficiency of 0.75

i got the number of trays by using McCabe Thiele diagram, the number of trays i got is 11 trays after removing the condenser and the reboiler trays.

i also got the reflux ratio from the same diagram which is 0.438

i calculated the tower height by assuming i have a 2.3 ft space between the trays, so 2.3*11 = 25 ft

What iam sstuck on is how to calculate the diameter of the column, what should i do ? what equations should i use?

if you also can help me in finding the weeping point and how to calculate the total cost of what i have it'll be appreciated.

Thank you,

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hi ,

You should consider the search engine in this forum !

To support your querry consider the document attached or any text books related to Distillation.

Good luck

Breizh

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:06 PM   Best Answer

Key in "Brown Souders Equation" in the Search Engine and you will get discussions on how the diameter of a distillation column is arrived at and why this equation is applied.

But do not fail to study the material Breizh has been kind enough to supply.  It is vital for you to learn the basic details of the principles as well as the hardware that underline the design of a distillation column.