Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Minimizing Gibbs Free Energy For Multiphase Equalibria

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 jande48

jande48

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

I'm a geologist and don't have a strong background in chemistry or thermodynamics. Any help on solving this problem is much appreciated. I'm trying to minimize Gibbs free energy to get initial estimates of Henry Coefficients (KiKi) for a flash calculation. Several publications presented the equation for Gibbs free energy for multiphase systems as the equation in the photo below. My question is relatively straight forward: how do I calculate the standard chemical potential of each component (methane, ethane, propane, water) as a function of temperature?

Also, I have Matlab scripts to calculate fugacity. However, it calculates a fugacity for each phase (gas and liquid). I'm not sure how to calculate the reference fugacity of each component while knowing that part of each component is in two phases?

From there, I can use simulated annealing in MATLAB for cycle through potential compositions to evaluate the minimum.

nini = mols of component ii

μi0μi0 = chemical potential of reference state

fi0fi0 = fugacity of the reference state

fijfij = fugacity of component ii in phase jj

nijnij = moles of component ii in phase jAttached File  unnamed.png   2.48KB   2 downloads