Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Condensation In A Non-Condensing Vapour Data

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kangaris

kangaris

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

Hello,

I am trying to obtain data from HYSYS for the design of a heat exchanger. I am having a non-condensing vapour mixture (partially condensible) and I want to cool it down from a temperature where the vapour fraction is 1 to a temperature where vapour fraction is around 0.7. The problem is that HYSYS isn't giving data for viscosity and thermal conductivity at liquid-vapour mixture which is needed for heat transfer coefficient calculations (I can only get at full liquid and full vapour conditions). I don't know then what values and how I am going to get the viscosity and thermal conductivity at 0.7vapour.

I will appreciate if someone knows how to help me.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:37 PM

You should take time to learn how to use HYSYS for your work.

Bobby

#3 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:38 AM

in general for two-phase flow the average values to adopt depend from selected correlations,
for example, popular Rosenhow correlation to estimate nucleate boiling heat transfer requires densities (vapor and liquid), Prandtl number for liquid etc.
I get all these numbers in Excel with Prode Properties (of course Hysys or tables of values should provide equivalent results),
in some cases you may adopt the homogeneous concept to correlate data, for viscosity see for example Dukler (1964),
the homogeneous concept allows to estimate density, enthalpy, entropy and derived properties such as speed of sound etc. see for example
'http://www.cheresour...rbons-mixture/'

#4 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

You can use aspen properties to find the required data.

Also, are you sure that Hysys cannot predict viscosity and thermal conductivity of Two-phase fluid?!

As far as I know, by defining an stream and specifying composition and changing thermodynamic properties of this stream ( P,T,VF)

other properties will be determined regardless of vapor fraction.

Please check it and let me know the result

Mahdi

#5 kangaris

kangaris

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hello, 

First of all thanks for your replies! I have gone into a bit more research to understand some more things. Because my heat exchanger is a partial condenser while there is condensation of non-condesible gas I use Gilmore (1963) formula which correlates the coefficient separately for both liquid and vapour. As a result I have to get the phase properties for viscosity and heat capacity while overall viscosity does not exist (which is obvious). 

In addition to that I wanted to ask something else. Because I am adding an ASTM from oil manager, I was adviced to ignore light ends in the oil manager and add them separately as pure components using a mixer prior to the heat exchanger. Does anyone know the reason for that?

#6 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:07 AM

a non-condensable vapor (at specified t, p) shouldn't condense, make sure to select a suitable thermodynamic model...

with PRODE PROPERTIES for hydrocarbons I prefer extended EOS which gives accurate values for VLE,

you may select a similar option and verify results, 

finally, for characterization of petroleum fractions normally one includes light fractions (if present),

if you have doubts about VLE (and calculated compositions)  as alternative to

include a mixer you may simply define the composition at exchanger inlet and then solve a series of H-P flash operations...