Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Leakage In Compressor

compressor leakage gas leak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sirooseven7

sirooseven7

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hi all,

I am currently running a refrigeration unit on site. The meter right in front of the compressor reads 3 MMSCFD. But I only see 1/3 to 1/2 of that gas going to my chiller (the chiller temp is very low). I have verified that there is no leak in the Mechanical Refrigeration unit. My question is: Is it possible to have a gas leak in a multistage compressor system? I am talking about a huge amount of gas leaking and not just a small amount.

Thank you,

Is it possible to have a gas leak in a multistage compressor system?

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

I have to assume you are talking about a mechanical refrigeration unit since you give scant or no basic data as to what you are operating.

• What kind of compressor are you talking about?  Is your refrigeration compressor a centrifugal compresssor?  How many stages?
  • What do you mean by " The meter right in front of the compressor reads 3 MMSCFD. But I only see 1/3 to 1/2 of that gas going to my chiller (the chiller temp is very low)"?
  • Do you mean that your refrigerant flow rate through the compressor is 3MMScfd as measured by a flow meter?  Do you mean that only 1/3 to 1/2 of the compressed refrigerant gas is sent to your chilling unit?  What do you mean by " I only see"?

Why don't you make it simple and concise for yourself as well as for our members who can help you out in this query if they receive accurate, specific and detailed information in the form an engineering sketch showing the equipment, piping, flow rates, temperatures and pressures.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

It's usually liquid that goes to the chiller (from the refrigerant condenser at the compressor discharge). Like Art suggests, show us the whole picture. You might learn something, too, in developing proper information. You should also tell us what problem, if any, prompts your query.

Bobby