Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hcl Vapour Through Saline Solution

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ry4nl4t

ry4nl4t

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

I've got a problem I'm not sure how to approach, any help would be much appreciated.

A 7200L tank containing 16% HCl has an overflow which goes through a seal pot containing approximately 9L of Saline solution.

I've been asked to calculate the % of Saline required to strip the HCl vapour so none is released to atmosphere.

As there is no reaction I'm a bit stumped as to how to calculate the percentage of NaCl in water needed.

Can anyone advise?

Kind regards,

Ryan

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

I suspect the seal pot is used to stop ALL vapor from being released to the atmosphere by holding a back pressure on the vent line using the hydraulic static head of the seal fluid.There is no stripping in the seal pot because no vapor passes through it. You should understand the function and design of your equipment so you can know how it maintains back pressure. In the absence of any details, I would guess the water is a saturated solution of NaCl and use this density to calculate the static head to see if it matches the requirement. If the tank pressure overcomes the seal pressure, then the seal pot will do nothing to strip HCl vapor.