Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Deleted

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:28 AM

? Deleted

Edited by SadiqChemy, 20 May 2017 - 11:48 PM.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

Besides your lack of training in mechanical design and metallurgy, are you a "class A" welder?   Have you ever "burned a rod"?  Are you knowledgeable with regards to welding machines and how / where they are employed?

If not, then I wouldn't think of assigning you to inspect a weld and much less to approve it.

I state the above with some bias because I worked summers through college years as a boilermaker in a shipyard, welding a lot of plate metal.  I learned to weld in the shipyard and worked besides a lot of expert electric arc welders.  Welding is an acquired skill that even some mechanical engineers are ignorant of.  It is a skill that demands a lot of practice and experience in its applications as well as in its inspections.

#3 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

I have never welded before.  I didn't have any basics of welding before I joined the company even I didn't know the meaning of welding!  I've been working at company since April!  Most of the time I am idle and the give me simple things.

So I consider to request them transferring me to another department that are more suitable for me !

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

In my opinion you are doing the best thing for you - and for your employer.

I don't consider it fair to you personally and to your future career as a chemical engineer to expect you to take on an important and critical responsibility such as weld inspections without having the experience, training, and preparations necessary for such a critical job.

Whoever is proposing that kind of assignment for you, without the proper training and experience is, in my opinion, asking the impossible of you and sending you on a path directly to failure and a bad mark on your future career.

Good Luck.