Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Heat Exchanger Performance In Forced Circulatory Evaporator

evaporation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Dinesh Babu

Dinesh Babu

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:23 AM

I am a graduate engineer trainee in pharmaceutical industry. I am assigned to effluent treatment plant. The processed effluent is concentrated in triple effect evaporator as like in desalination. I want to increase heat transfer area by two means

1 by maintaining constant shell size while decreasing tube size and increasing the no of tubes

2 by maintaining constant tube size while  increasing no of tubes and shell size

Which arrangement will give more efficient result.. i.e steam economy. flow rate is constant

Edited by Dinesh Babu, 09 September 2016 - 05:25 AM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:32 PM

I don't understand your objective. Each effect must be designed for the feed capacity. Adequate surface must be provided for each effect. Efficiency is most affected by the number of effects. The first effect that uses steam is designed for the steam that is available. So, maybe you want to pose your question to address what you have and what you want.

Bobby

#3 Dinesh Babu

Dinesh Babu

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:48 AM

Triple effect Forced circulatory evaporators are using to concentrate effluent TDS in parallel feed. The heat transfer areas are 16 m2, 24m2 36m2 for the evaporators. Supplying superheated steam at 1.5 kg/cm2 to 2.5 kg/cm2 . Feed is suplying at 85-90oC, TDS is 60-80 g/L and specific gravity 1.16-1.25; pumps capacities 30 m3/hr. To get 15 kl/day condensate from the evaporators (neglecting steam supplying one)

what are the inputs ; flow rate of feed, feeding arrangement, the arrangement of Heat exchangers and concentrated effluent TDS/SG.

in previous question I thought Increasing Heat transfer area would increase the evaporator economy, to get condensate required.

Edited by Dinesh Babu, 10 September 2016 - 03:56 AM.