Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Nitrogen Volume Calculation Taking Into Account Z-Factor

nitrogen n2 volume calculate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Yerich

Yerich

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:43 PM

Lets say i have a downhole storage for Nitrogen with 200 bbl (31m3) capacity of space. I would like to know to know what would be the volume in scf if I pumped N2 with 300psi and then 1000psi pressure. 

1) What would be the best gas law to use for this case taking into account compressibility factor and why?

2) How to use Z-factor in calculation? if anyone can give me example so i can apply for my case

I am not good with gas law so if anyone can help me to understand it please

#2 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

I would recommend that you find a suitable tutorial about ideal versus real gas and how these are calculated. Here are two that found from a quick internet search:

https://www.khanacad...havior-of-gases

http://chemed.chem.p...deviation5.html

I would also expect that one of your textbooks would have a similar discussion of ideal versus real gases.

Both use the Van der Waals equation of state to illustrate how to compare ideal gases to real gases. Whether you stick with the VDW EOS or choose another, the basic concept is usually the same (especially when using the Peng-Robinson or Redlich Kwong or Soave EOS which are basically improvements on the VDW form).

Z factor (compressibility factor) is a simple measure of how different something is from an ideal gas. If an ideal gas is

PV/(nRT)=1, then a real gas can be described by how different PV/(nRT) is from 1. We, therefore, define compressibility as z=PV/(nRT).

With those resources, or similar resources, is there a specific part that you are having trouble understanding?