Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Process Equipment Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SP500

SP500

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

Greetings,

I would like to introduce myself first. I am a 4th year chemical engineer currently studying in the UK.

I've done some design projects in the past as part of the university's curriculum. I have come to the conclusion that each design is unique in its nature and therefore there are no standardized methods of designing any equipment . It has also come to my attention that when writing out a design the layout and method of presentation is crucial. Nonetheless after having read a number of books dedicated to plant and process design , I cannot find an example of a design, so to be able to learn from the way the design was approached and the sequence in which information was presented, which I believe would be of enormous help.

My concerns are primarily that I do not understand the depth to which a design should be as there are so many things to consider. I hope that someone can pinpoint a book of sorts or anything else that will potentially assist me in my studies to understand design altogether.

Thank you ,

Best regards

Edited by AlexM, 21 September 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

You should not be concerned with such details. Concentrate your time and efforts on your studies. You will learn soon enough.

Bobby

#3 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:55 AM

AlexM,

Design is a very generic term. It could include concept and feasibility design, design modifications / debottlenecking of existing process plant / equipment and engineering design calculations (sizing / rating) for process plant equipment. What exactly are you looking for? 

In the process engineering consulting field, one major activity that process engineers (mostly with ChE background) perform is to prepare design calculation documents. There are so many ways to do it. However, there are guidelines also on how to do prepare such documents. Some engineering consulting companies have their own in-house guidelines. But following certain ground rules will ensure that the document you prepare will be generally in good shape. Some such ground rules are provided in the link below:

http://www.cheresour...ation-document/

Regards,

Ankur. 

#4 SP500

SP500

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

Dear Ankur,

The process equipment designs i've faced so far and I'm thus referring to are those of chemical and bio-reactors, distillation columns , absorption columns etc

The link that you have provided is of enormous help , thank you very much

#5 Francisco Angel

Francisco Angel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

Dear AlexM:

As others said, do not hurry to much. As your opinion that each design is unique, if you have time, you can start learning about standards and recommended practices, to see that various design decisions are standardized (I don't have a lot of industrial experience, though).

Search in this site concepts like "API" or "TEMA".

Best regards.