Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flare Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 fhlee

fhlee

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

Hi all, I am currently designing a flare system, in API 521 and API 537,it doesn't really say how to estimate the amount of gas that I need to vent,
I am assuming that on top of my normal process waste gas, i still have to factor in normal process upset. So my approach to design my flare is , it must be capable handling my normal waste gas, and handle vent gas generated by a 10% pressure offset by PRV, is this method correct? .

Another question is, let's say a column usually operated at 100 KPa, and the set pressure is 110KPa, how do I estimate how much vent gas will be generated if the column pressure reached 110 KPa ?
For simplification purpose, assume my column condition as below

Vapour flowrate=100 Mol/s
Column temperature=300K

Can anyone show me a simple example how to estimate the vent gas generated by a pressure relief if my example is bad ? 

Very much appreciated!

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:10 PM

There is no simple method to estimate relief requirements for a distillation column. Try the search engine on this site. I'm surprised that such an assignment is given to a student.

Bobby

#3 fhlee

fhlee

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

Hi Bobby,
Thanks for your feedback! Is my idea of designing the flare correct ( normal process gas+ relief requirement for different column) ?

Regards,
Lee