Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

R134A Storage Tank

pressure builtup inside a sto

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 NatarajK

NatarajK

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:15 AM

Hi

I have designed a stainless steel storage tank of horizontal cylindrical type (1 m dia, 2.2 m length and 10 mm thick, glass wool insulation of 50 mm thick ). In which R134a needs to be stored at a temperature of 14 deg C and pressure of 4.75 bar . Outside air temperature is 30 deg C. My process requirement is 20% of liquid in tank but I feel some additional liquid has to be stored as buffer. May I please know how much I have to store like 50% of 60% etc., and what would be the evaporation rate and pressure built up over a period of time. My tank design pressure is 12 bar. How long the evaporation takes to reach this design pressure?

Any help and suggestions are welcome.

Nataraj K

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

Nataraj K:

You use the term "storage".  This implies that the contents are held for long-term or intermittent static residence in the tank and not under steady-state requirements.  Why are you storing the saturated R134A liquid (a common refrigerant) at 14 oC when you could easily do it at its 30 oC saturated pressure (approx. 7.5 barA)?  ---- please identify logical engineering units:  is it bar or barA you mean?

You certainly need a vapor space over a saturated liquid and 20% of the total space in the tank is a normal amount for liquid expansion and operational range.

If you have a process need to maintain the R134A at 14 oC, then please so state it.  If not, then it seems your "storage" tank only needs a PSV set at its MAWP - which is probably higher than the maximum saturated pressure of the R134A at 30 oC.  In other words, why not store the refrigerant at 30 oC - like everyone else does?  In fact, that is how this liquid is transported and distributed in almost all industrial areas.

Please furnish ALL your basic data.  Giving our members piece-meal information is only going to confuse and turn this thread into a lengthy, rambling discussion of what is a simple and easy application.