Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pump Shut Off Pressure At Pump Suction Block Valve

pump shut off pressure suction block valve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 S J

S J

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:31 AM

Dear Sirs,

I'm process engineer.

I would like to ask about pump shut off pressure at pump suction block valve.

In case of installing one running pump and one standby pump,

because pump discharge lines are connected each other, pump discharge pressure could be transferred to suction block valve of standby pump. Refer to case A in attahced file.

In case of installing only one running pump,

I'm not sure if pump shut off pressure should be applied to suction block valve. Please refer to case B in attached drawing.

Is it possible that shut off pressure could be transferred to all blocked section ?

Shut off pressure means maximum pressure in restriced section when flow is blocked.

I'm wondering whether all blocked section will have maximum pressure during pump shut off running.

Please share any experience regarding application of pump shut off pressure to pump suction block valve.

Attached Files

Edited by S J, 26 September 2016 - 04:36 AM.

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:43 AM

S.J,

You may consider 1 common recirculation line after the block valves and  to add check valves  to your sketches.

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 26 September 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:49 AM

S J,

In case A the suction block valve of the stand by pump which is normally closed, can be subjected to pump shut off pressure; hence the design pressure of the suction lines of parallel pumps should be same as the design pressure of the relevant common discharge line.

In case B the suction block valve of the running single pump which is normally open cannot be subject to pump shut off pressure.

#4 S J

S J

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

breizh

You are correct. Installing common recycle line is general practice and check valve is required at each pump discharge.

In my current project, client prefers installing individual recycle line for each pump. That's all.

To ask about the range of shut off pressure application , I simplified the drawing.

fallah

For determining design pressure, considering each block valve closing case is required.

If pump suction and discharge block valves are closed and pump runs in case B, should we apply pump shut off pressure to pump suction block valve ?

#5 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:30 AM

fallah

If pump suction and discharge block valves are closed and pump runs in case B, should we apply pump shut off pressure to pump suction block valve ?

S.J,

Yes, we should apply; but I believe simultaneous inadvertent closing of both suction and discharge block valves of a running pump has to be considered as a very rare situation hence a double jeopardy...!

#6 S J

S J

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:49 AM

fallah

Thank you for your response.

In my head, I can imagine that shutoff force is transferred to suction and discharge when pump suction and discharge valves are closed.

Could we explain this with technical or scientific terms ?

#7 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:24 AM   Best Answer

In my head, I can imagine that shutoff force is transferred to suction and discharge when pump suction and discharge valves are closed.

Could we explain this with technical or scientific terms ?

S.J,

If mentioned situation actually be happened; at the first moments suction side might be subject to a relative vacuum but then due to temperature increment and fluid recirculation the suction side will be subject to the same pressure of the discharge side and finally due to high temperature and pressure (fluid vaporization) pump seal will be damaged and leaks till total seal/pump failure...

#8 S J

S J

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:18 AM

Thank you, fallah