Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Gas-Liquid Film Mass Transfer Expression For Instantaneous Rxn

rate expression for gasliquid gas absorption in liquid film

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 meer

meer

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

Pl. see the attached file.....

For a case of Instantaneous Reaction (Fluid-Fluid Reaction Kinetics by Octave Levenspill Chapter 23)

the expression for gas film mass transfer has no film thickness involved in terms of x but the expressions for liquid film include the film thickness in terms of xand x , why ? 

The reason is given there in the attached file picture but still doesn't make clear sense to me...pl. help.

Attached Files

#2 Francisco Angel

Francisco Angel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

Hi Meer:
I think the key is this, the text says: "the coefficients corresponds to those without reaction, only mass transfer with reference to the whole distance x0".

First lets review some fundamentals. Lets think in a simplified case, in which diffusion described by Fick law will be applicable, you would obtain for the flux (N):

N = D*CAi/x0

with D: diffusivity, CAi: Concentration at interphase, x0: width of the liquid film, we are assuming here that the bulk concentration is zero for simplicity. Now, the text would introduce a mass transfer coefficient, k, and say:

N = k*CAi

and obviously k=D/x0, the last expression valid for the most simple case. Next the text will explain that in other circumstances k is not simply D/x0, so you could measure k, say experimentally, make correlations, etc.

Now for the case in the picture you provided, you will have (Nreacc: flux when a reaction is ocurring):

Nreacc=D*CA_i/x

Please note that I used x, the effective distance A component is travelling, now remember what the text says: "the coefficients corresponds to those without reaction, only mass transfer with reference to the whole distance x0", I want to express the flux in terms of k without reaction, I don't want this:

k_reacc = D/x (Note the "divided by x")

I want this:

k_NOreacc= D /x0 (Note the "divided by x0")

I achieve that by rearranging the terms:

Nreacc=D*CAi/x

=D*CAi*x0/(x*x0)

=(D/x0)*CAi*x0/x

=k_NOreacc*CAi*x0/x

So, long story short, the text is trying to express the flux when a reaction is happening, in terms of the mass transfer coefficient measured when NO reaction is happening, x0/x turns out to be a scale factor, same goes for the factor:
x0/(x0-x)

in the expression for the flux of B.

Best regards.

#3 meer

meer

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:32 PM

Thank you very much for such an elaboration :)