Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Mass Data Processing - Chemcad

chemcad data processing data maps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Semtex

Semtex

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

Dear members,

do you anybody know if is it possible to process mass data from excel in ChemCAD? I have to calculate pressure losses of thousands pipeline. I have an excel file which include flow, temperature, pressure of the feed and DN of the every pipe. So, I need to feed this data to ChemCAD and gain the results from ChemCAD back to the Excel.  Do you have any idea how to do this?

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:12 PM

You can use Excel VBA to process the information with ChemCad.

Bobby

#3 Semtex

Semtex

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:01 AM

You can use Excel VBA to process the information with ChemCad.

Bobby

Thank Mr. Strain,

At first, I have to figure out how to use VBA with ChemCAD.

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

I may have misled you. ChemCad will require each stream composition, too. Are there really thousands? Gas or liquid?

Post a sample of what you have.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 11 October 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#5 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:03 PM

Simply, in the first place, mapping Excel worksheet data(both cell and/or array data) with CC worksheet parameters concerned would be the easiest solution;  Refer to <Creating an Excel Data Map> of <Data Interfaces> menu in "Help" desk.   

To create an Excel datamap, click <Tools>/<Excel Data Map>/<New Data Map>. Detail step-by-step procedures can be found on the section referred in CC Help desk .  

Once you create an Excel datamap on CC, all you have to do is to put in the array data to be exported to CC,  define "Excution Rules", then run the CC.   After running with respect each parameter imported from Excel, CC would dump output data on each specific cell or arrays in the Excel worksheet you have mapped previously. 

Stefano 

Edited by sgkim, 11 October 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#6 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

Stefano,

I bet that Semtex does not understand anything about your instructions. Maybe you can point to an example somewhere.

Bobby

#7 Semtex

Semtex

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:27 AM

Simply, in the first place, mapping Excel worksheet data(both cell and/or array data) with CC worksheet parameters concerned would be the easiest solution;  Refer to <Creating an Excel Data Map> of <Data Interfaces> menu in "Help" desk.   

To create an Excel datamap, click <Tools>/<Excel Data Map>/<New Data Map>. Detail step-by-step procedures can be found on the section referred in CC Help desk .  

Once you create an Excel datamap on CC, all you have to do is to put in the array data to be exported to CC,  define "Excution Rules", then run the CC.   After running with respect each parameter imported from Excel, CC would dump output data on each specific cell or arrays in the Excel worksheet you have mapped previously. 

Stefano 

Stefano,

I bet that Semtex does not understand anything about your instructions. Maybe you can point to an example somewhere.

Bobby

I actually understand Stefano, but I am not sure how to insert array. I am able to insert only one cell. If I use array, CC reports an error ("Incoplete data entry at row X"). I give you simple example. I just want to change only inner diameter of pipe with constant lenght and flow. I created excel file with 4 DI values and 4 empty cells for calculated pressure loss. You can see pictures with my example in the attached link. 

#8 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:12 AM

I am not sure why your CC gives error message even if you input pipe diameter and pressure loss array data as D5:D8 and E5:E8 respectively.   Check if you can "save" and "import" the <datamap file> after creating it.  Also check the stream data for the pipe; physical properties such as density and viscosity shall not be omitted for the calculation of friction factor for each pipe. 

After all the checking, the error message generating as "incomplete data map entry" at each row might to be a <CC bug>.

Then you'd rather let CC user service team solve the problem.  

Stefano   

Edited by sgkim, 12 October 2016 - 10:10 PM.