Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Calculate Volume Of A Gas To Raise Pressure In Pipeline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 quangkhoa90

quangkhoa90

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:37 AM

Hello,

I am a junior process engineer. I would like to calculate the volume of a gas to raise pressure in a pipeline by 1 bar. Please help me out.

The stream at outlet of compressor 1 is about 30 kSm3/h at 46 bar and 45°C, refer to the attached file for the stream composition. This stream is sent to compressor 2 to compress to 70 bar. The pipeline between these 2 compressors is 50m in length and 10" in diameter.

When the compressor 2 shuts off, pressure will raise up at downstream of compressor 1, this may cause shutdown of equipment due to high outlet pressure.

In this case, I would like to figure out how long will it take to raise pressure at downstream of compressor 1 by one bar, or reach the PSHH at 55 bar.

Thank you in advance 

Attached Files

Edited by quangkhoa90, 23 October 2016 - 03:41 AM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

To get the best estimate you must perform a dynamic simulation. But why is this important?

Bobby

#3 quangkhoa90

quangkhoa90

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

I would like to install a pipeline at downstream of compressor 1, in order to prevent the pressure from building up at outlet of this compressor.

I performed calculation to estimate the time needed to raise pressure from 45 barg to 50 barg as below:

I ran the simulation on hysys at 45 barg, and I found that molar volume is a (m3/kgmole)

I ran again the simulation at 45 barg, and molar volume is A (m3/kgmole)

The volume of pipeline between compressor 1 and compressor 2 is constant and equals to V (m3)

Then to raise pressure in that pipeline from 45 barg to 50 barg, we need to add [V*(1/A - 1/a)] (kgmole) of gas

From Hysys, we have the flow of gas through this process which is Q (kgmole/h)

Conclu, the time it take to raise pressure from 45 barg to 50 barg is: [V/Q * (1/A-1/a) ] * 3600 (s)

Does it sound good to you?

BR,

Edited by quangkhoa90, 24 October 2016 - 01:43 AM.

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

If it is done slowly that is approximately correct. But with your given flow the pipeline pressure will not be uniform from beginning to end.

Hence you need a dynamic simulation.

edit: But if I was responsible, I would assume the same pressure profile for the pipeline. That is, assume the pressure at the inlet and outlet both increase by 5 bar.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 24 October 2016 - 09:00 PM.

#5 quangkhoa90

quangkhoa90

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:36 AM

Dear Bobby,

I agree, I did assume the same P profile for the pipeline. 

By the way, concerning your previous comment: "But with your given flow the pipeline pressure will not be uniform from beginning to end", then if I take into account for this phenomenon, it would take long time than my calculation to pressurize the pipeline, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you

Khoa

#6 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

Gas may condenses into the liquid phase at higher pressure to reduce it volume.