Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pipeline And Pump

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 processengineer1998

processengineer1998

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:01 AM

Hi everyone,
We need to design supply and return pipelines from one plant to another plants in order to use existing package in second plant.package will be used occasionally by Only one of two plants.
Because source of liquid is storage tank in first plant ,there is not any concern in designing supply pipeline including pumps and control valve for flow control.
My problem is in return pipeline from outlet of package in second plant to first plant.inside the package and just before sending liquid out of package, there are a vessel ,a pump and a level control valve down stream of pump.but existing package pump could not cover pressure drop in return pipeline.so we need to pump with highter duty.
we have some choices:
1-upgrading existing pump with new pump with higher head(client is not happy with this option and prefer not to change package pump)
2-adding a new pump just after exsisting pump and its level control valve
3-adding a new pump with higher head and its new control valve in parallel of existing pump and control valve.
Now my question is that is choice 2 a logical configuration? can we add a pump after a level control valve?if yes is then required a new control valve after new pump?
Please let me know which choice is preferrable in your point of view.
It should be noted that system is continous.
Thanks in advance

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

Best to convince your client to upgrade the pump in the package. You don't want to start with a patch job.

Bobby

#3 processengineer1998

processengineer1998

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:16 PM

Best to convince your client to upgrade the pump in the package. You don't want to start with a patch job.

Bobby

Thanks dear Bobby fo your advice,
i think in addition to updating pump , we also need to replace level control valve with new one to compensate relatively high pressure drop in return pipeline to plant #1.
Actually it should be capable to work for two cases:
very low pressure drop for plant#2 and high pressure drop for plant#1