Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pump Suction Pressure - Chemical Injection Skid

chemical injection pump suction npsha

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:33 AM

Hi,

We are considering a major overhaul for a chemical injection skid. The tanks are 2.5 meters high with the low low level alarm set at 200 mm. The injection pump are installed at an elevated level of 100 mm above tank bottom, so the suction line goes up around the same height.

1. If the suction pressure at the pump suction nozzle is around 70-80 kPaa. is that ok given it's below atmospheric pressure yet not complete vacuum?

2. Can I account for some syphon effect in the suction line since the line starts from the bottom of the tank, extends to the skid limit then goes up to the pump suction nozzle?

Thanks 

Sherif

#2 senthil13

senthil13

Veteran Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

Couple of questions 

- Do you have a system in place and i assume you are revamping for some reasons? How does the system perform? Is it being revamped due to some operational issues or expansion? please clarify.

- What type of pump is it? Can they operate at that low NPSHa?

A sketch would be beneficial too.

#3 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

The system is already in place, we are replacing the 20y old tubing with new ones and changing some the connections between the tanks and pumps to meet the new chemical requirements.

See attached sketch. I am looking for the old datasheet as we speak 

Attached Files

#4 senthil13

senthil13

Veteran Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the sketch.

Considering the location of the pump relative to the tank. you don't have much head to play with. If your new requirement is to increase flow rate. I would consider a NPSH evaluation of this system and possibly increase suction pressure or relocate the pump.

You will gain some siphon effect. personally i wouldn't consider any head for this.

Just my 2 cents..

#5 sunny143

sunny143

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:06 AM

Sherif,

As i dont have sufficient information about the tank & pump foundations. Assuming that tank foundation is about 300mm high, instead of relocating the pump, decreasing pump foundation height will be good. This will give marginal head to the pump.

Regards,

#6 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

The flowrate hasn't changed. All what is happening is replacing the old tubes with new ones and re-routing some others from one pump to the other to allow some more flexibility.

These pumps have been running for the last 20 years with this arrangement.

The other question is if the suction pressure is 80 kPa, would that be a problem for the pump?

Sherif 

#7 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hi Sherif, salam.

1. Ensure tat the suction pressure is well above the vapor pressure of the fluid being pumping at the fluid temperature. Otherwise the pump will not pumping the fluid accordingly.

2. The energy balance calculation  includes syphonic effect. No need to do a separate calculation.

Hope the simplified comments helps.

s. ahmad

Edited by S.AHMAD, 16 November 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#8 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

Hi Ahmad,

I don't understand point 2. Would you please elaborate/give more details?

Sherif

#9 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:05 PM

Hi Sherif.

My suggestion is that you do the energy balance then you will understand the point 2.

Energy balance:

Vessel pressure + differential elevation head of liquid level - line pressure drop - pump suction pressure = 0

Syphonic effect is included in this energy equation. hoiwever, use consistant unit in the aboive simplified energy equation.

s.ahmad

Edited by S.AHMAD, 17 November 2016 - 10:13 PM.