Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How Small Is Too Small A Pipe To Require A Thermal Psv?

thermal expansion hydrualic expansion psv too small diameter not required thermal relief hydraulic relief

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 AlanInTexas

AlanInTexas

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

Per guideline, "if the blocked in pipe section is of small diameter of leses than 100 ft in length, the required thermal expansion relieving capacity is less than the leakage of the blocked valve, so a thermal relief valve is not required."

Can anyone advise: What it the definition of a "small diameter?"

I have a 4 in pipe of 10 ft length that can be potentially liquid full upon isolation.  I would love to write off as not requiring a thermal PSV, if it is allowed.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:55 PM

Who is the guideline from?  What are the circumstances?  What is the fluid in question?  What are the probabilities of the blocked-in liquid achieving rupture pressure in the pipe?

If the "guideline" comes from the company you work for, you may have to follow that advice - unless you have the initiative, justification, or guts to challenge it.

If it comes from someone who is not a stakeholder in your work results, then I would seriously challenge his/her recommendation.

If the liquid in question that is unidentified by you turns out to be cooling water or something similar in properties, I'd just forget about this "expert" advice and install a $50 1/2" thermal relief valve.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:03 AM

If you are working with a world scale LNG plant, small diameter can be 10 inches. So, be wary. In all my years, I have never seen a thermal relief valve provided for a 4 inch pipe 10 feet long.

Bobby

#4 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:47 AM

Refer to the following:  

http://www.chemwork....l_expansion.pdf

I'd like to quote the last term - but I am not sure where this criteria come from: 

(Quote/)

10. Pipes with diameter more than 1 ½” and longer than 30 m are generally considered large pipes. The rupture cost of smaller
pipe is expected to be lower than the TRV cost, so no TRV is required in this case. This advice should be considered
carefully and approved by project owner. Equipment operating full of liquid should be provided with a thermal relief valve if

the quantity of blocked in liquid is higher than 0.5 m3

(/Unquote) 

~Stefano

Edited by sgkim, 18 November 2016 - 05:53 AM.