Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Overall Coefficient Heat Transfer For Heater

overall coefficient heat tran

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Martyna

Martyna

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

Hello, first of all, I want to sorry every one for my english - it's not my native language. Sorry to say that, but I couldn't find as professional/helpful forum in my country, thats why I am looking for help here.

I need help with calculations:

There is a tank kept in temp. under 0deg. To keep the medium (water) above 4deg. in tank there is installed a coil. We know that this tank is losing Q=400kW. We know the geometry of the coil, material of it. The heating medium is water+glycol40% which has inlet temp. 80deg. The flow of it is 6m^3/s. We are looking for overall coefficient heat transfer.

Thats my idea for it:

I assume that the temp in tank is constant t=4deg so coil have to give to the water also Q, so:

m1*cp1*(t1-t2)=U*A*delta-t=Q

t2=t1-Q/m1/cp1 - outlet temp of heating medium 

U=Q/A/delta.t                                  where delta.t=(t1-t2)/ln((t1-t)/(t2-t))

From this algorithm U=600 (every thing in SI units). It looks strange for me. Isn't it too big?? 

Edited by Martyna, 28 November 2016 - 01:16 PM.

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

I'm sorry, I cannot follow your verbal description.  Draw a sketch.  Show all flows.  Show all temperatures.  Define the mediums.  Show all units.  Then scan it and attach.

#3 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:06 PM

If you can achieve a heat transfer of greater than  about 1700 inside the tubing, it is possible.