Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Two Pumps Connection

suction of pump; discharge of pump two pump connection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Movers

Movers

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

Hi all.

I would like to ask what do you think about connection of two pump, where suction line of pump 1 is rooted directly from discharge of pump 2 (process medium flow through air cooler and then part of it is rooted to pump 1)? What disturbances could occur in such configuration? Process medium is diesel oil, about 40 t/h (pump 2) and 15 t/h (pump 1), discharge pressure of pump 2 is about 4 barg.  

#2 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

Not "rooted", it should be "routed".

It is OK to use your pump 2 as a booster pump.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

A sketch would help, including valves in the system. Your description is confusing. You should include the type of pump along with suction and discharge pressure of each.

Bobby

#4 Movers

Movers

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for reply.

Please find in attachment a simple sketch. P2 is existing centrifugal pump. P1 is projected new pump (generally the red ones elements are new projected).

Attached Files

#5 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

Movers,

I have modified your sketch to ensure that you have proper flow split-up by using flow control. See the attached sketch.

Regards,

Ankur

Attached Files

#6 Movers

Movers

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for your comments. You are right. I have made only a simple conception without any control devices. I left the rest for the designer. My only apprehension was if this two pumps could work properly in such configuration.

Best Regards

#7 Movers

Movers

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

Hi All.

I would like to back to the issue. The designer claims, that such solution will not work properly and may cause big problems with the new one pump. I have no experience with this. Have you ever saw refinery where pumps work in such configuration?

I have never met such arrangement but Also I have never met any standards saying the pumps should not be used this way.

Edited by Movers, 23 May 2017 - 07:46 AM.

#8 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

Movers,

Such configuration might be correct.

However, I believe that to control the flow of pump 2, you shall install the flow meter and control valve at discharge of pump 2.

Another important point is the parameter which must be controlled. Flow rate or pressure of diesel oil ?

By the way, what is the discharge pressure of the 1st pump (pump1)?

What is your purpose of using pump 2?

Regards

#9 Saml

Saml

Gold Member

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

This type of arrangement, is not unusual. It is done for energy, cost or NPSH.

Examples: in some urea plants you need to provide ammonia reflux to a distillation column (low pressure) and feed the reactor (high pressure). It may be better to have a low pressure pump for the reflux and a high pressure pump for feeding the reactor. This way, you avoid the energy needed to pressurize the reflux to the reactor pressure and then wasting that energy in a control valve.  You may say "OK, but you can have them in parallel", what brings us to the NPSH issue.

Multistage high pressure pumps, that normally runs at high speed (>3000/3600 RPM) have higher NPSH requirements than a single stage booster pump. So the designer is faced with a few option: more stages and lower speed on the high pressure pump, elevating all the equipment in the suction of the pump (several meters), or installing a booster with low NPSH requirements. Sometimes the later is the best option.

Another example are the pumps in reverse osmosis pre filters. If you don't have enough pressure in your water supply, you install a booster pump to feed the pre filters and then you go to the high pressure pumps. Otherwise you would have to design the filters for high pressure.

One caveat is that you need to interlock the second pump in case of loss of the first one to avoid damage, and design for the maximum pressure of the first one (suction rating, seals, etc).

Also, control strategy should prevent starving of the second pump, and may require a split range or override for the cases where you don't have enough flow in the low pressure pump to feed the required flow in the second (startup, abnormal situations, etc).  And tuning the controllers to avoid interaction/cycling between controllers.

Edited by Saml, 24 May 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#10 Movers

Movers

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for response.

Mahdi,

I don't know yet the discharge pressure of pump 1, it will be determined, but I suppose that will be c.a. 5 barg (so a liittle bit higher than discharge pressure of the pump 2).

Pump 2 is used for pressurize stream directed to the tower or surge drum

#11 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:31 AM

Movers,

If you give us a complete information about your case, then you may receive the proper response and a good consultation.

Anyhow, I believe that my comment on the previous post would be applicable.