Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Required Flow Rate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 shahidulislam48

shahidulislam48

Gold Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

Hello,

As we use "required flow rate" (required capacity or required relieving rate) to find out minimum flow area for a PSV nozzle but I am not getting how to calculate "required flow rate" or will it be mentioned by the manufacturer?

Need help.

Many Thanks

#2 flarenuf

flarenuf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

hello ,

its obvious  from this question and others you have posted recently that you are new to Flare and Relief System Design .
Whilst most of us on this forum are happy to help  people like you  with specific problems you seem to be asking many general , basic ones that you can find the answers to by looking at API 521, 520 , say  or by googling "Flare system design" or something similar.

Does not your company provide you with any information at all on Relief Systems to get you started in your work ?

it is impossible for me , and others to try to explain the very basics of Relief design on a forum like thi s.
Specific questions yes .., after you have done some research yourself that is

Edited by flarenuf, 11 December 2016 - 01:40 PM.

#3 shahidulislam48

shahidulislam48

Gold Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:57 PM

hello ,

its obvious  from this question and others you have posted recently that you are new to Flare and Relief System Design .
Whilst most of us on this forum are happy to help  people like you  with specific problems you seem to be asking many general , basic ones that you can find the answers to by looking at API 521, 520 , say  or by googling "Flare system design" or something similar.

Does not your company provide you with any information at all on Relief Systems to get you started in your work ?

it is impossible for me , and others to try to explain the very basics of Relief design on a forum like thi s.
Specific questions yes .., after you have done some research yourself that is

Yes, it is true that I am new on this.

My company didn't provided any information on Relief System at all.

The main factor is that I am getting confused with those stuff for not getting enough clear information.

Regarding the Required flow rate I had not got any clue how to calculate it as far as I remember. I had found

out an equation that is too hard and needs lots of critical data to find out flow rate. I am looking for some 

convenient approach.

Thanks.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:34 AM

Yes, it is true that I am new on this.

My company didn't provided any information on Relief System at all.

The main factor is that I am getting confused with those stuff for not getting enough clear information.

Regarding the Required flow rate I had not got any clue how to calculate it as far as I remember. I had found

out an equation that is too hard and needs lots of critical data to find out flow rate. I am looking for some 

convenient approach.

Hi,

Agreed with flarenuf statement about the approach which you should consider to involve in PSV and flare fields...anyway:

You should specify "Credible Scenarios of Over Pressures" which are to be handled by the PSV. Then, among such scenarios corresponding flow rate of one which will result in the highest relieving area is the "Required Relieving Load" of mentioned PSV...

Edited by fallah, 12 December 2016 - 01:36 AM.