Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Mba Worth It?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 bobby

bobby

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:42 PM

after maybe 20 years of working in the industry, i decided i want to rise up and become a manager/supervisor(management)...do i need a mba? is an mba worth it?

when do people usually study for mba? directly after undergrad degree?

#2 Radionise

Radionise

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

Hi Bobby,

Taking up MBA is a huge investment.

Not all managerial or management post will require one to have an MBA. It all depends on the company. Often, if the company require you to have one in order to progress with them, they will sponsor you.

Just like other postgraduate degree, an MBA can sometimes be deemed as over qualified too, even for management posts!

Most people would agree that it is best to take up MBA after one has had some work experience. Although there are increasingly more and more undergraduate students who take MBA directly after their first degree. Personally I won't recommend doing that as a fresh grad may not be able to fully appreciate what more to say comprehend the course content (I'm commenting from a fresh grad with technical degree point of view).

Oftenly, selecting to do an MBA from a reputable university (or its business school) is imperative. When looking for a job, going out to the outside world with an MBA from a mediocre university will often result in one being seen as inferior to other MBA qualified candidate. I don't know as to why this happens, but the bottom line is, if you do decide to go for an MBA, make sure you choose a university which has a good reputable for that course.

#3 engware

engware

Gold Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

Bobby:

Going for an advanced degree is always tough.

It requires a commitment up front and some sacrafice in order to earn and get an advanced degree.

In my opinion, I would recommend to go for it.

However, one needs to be carerful on how to get to the final objective. School selection process is very important as well as taking care of the tuition expenses.

In the end, one needs to go through a thorough evaluation process (pluses and minuses) in order to properly weight the net benefits of going back to school.

If one is only looking for a job promotion, then an MBA degree might be tooo much of an effort with no near term benefit.

Here is a URL where one can check out schools and options when going for an MBA degree: http://www.allengineeringschools.com.

Today, as an alternative, one can do a combination of taking regular classes and doing some online schooling in order to speed up and ease the process.

Good luck and do not rush in making a wrong career move -- as they say: "measure fiifty times, but beware that you can cut only once".

Thanks,

Gordan

PS

I totally agree withh the earlier piece of advice that was given to you by Radionise ...

#4 laralara

laralara

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

Yeah sure,you have to do mba course for your higher designation.There were many courses in mba and you can choose them which regards to your career.Usually people study mba after finishing their UG.
=======================
lara

New Jobs