Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Outlet Nozzle Size Of A Typical 200 Litre Chemical Drum

checmical drum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 JKM

JKM

Gold Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

Dear All,

I would like to ask following information:

What is the outlet nozzle size of a typical 200 liter chemical drum and maximum diameter of dip pipe which can be inserted?

Actually we are facing problem for Pneumatic Pump. Flow rate is 2m3/h , viscosity is 88 cP, Instead of usual directly mounting the pump on the Drum, OWNER changed  the scheme. On the suction side pump will be connected to the Drum using flexible hose. The current suction size is 1/2" however it is too small considering the flow rate and there is not sufficient NPSH.

One possible solution is to increase the suction side size. However this will depend the drum outlet nozzle and the maximum diameter of the dip pipe which can be inserted into it.

I tried to google it but the information is quite confusing. I would prefer if you can also share some standard catalogs to show to the OWNER.

Regards

JK

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:01 PM

hi ,

Take a look at the attachment .

Hope this helps

Breizh

#3 JKM

JKM

Gold Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:16 PM

Hi Briezh,

Thanks a lot for your reply. However I am looking for the outlet nozzle size of a standard chemical drum and the maximum dip diameter which can be inserted in the drum. Let me know if you have any data regarding this.

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:19 PM

It is common to hear a drum referred to as a barrel and the two terms are used nearly interchangeably. Many drums have a common nominal volume of 208 litres (55 US gal; 46 imp gal) and nominally measure just under 880 millimetres (35 in) tall with a diameter just under 610 millimetres (24 in) and differ by holding about thirteen gallons more than a barrel of crude oil. In the United States, 25-US-gallon (95 l; 21 imp gal) drums are also in common use and have the same height.

The two common sub-types of drums are the open top and the welded top (with 2-inch (51 mm) NPS bung holes).

Edited by Bobby Strain, 05 January 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#5 JKM

JKM

Gold Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:29 AM

Thanks Bobby,

So you mean for all the typical chemical drums(barrel) of approximately 200 litre the nozzle size is 2 inch. Is there any deviation from this for some chemicals?

Also the maximum diameter of the dip pipe which can be inserted is 2" or it should be lower?  

Regards

JK

Edited by JKM, 06 January 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:32 AM

Hi ,

If I remember well , you have 2 nozzles , one for unloading the product ( dip tube)  # 50 mm and a  2 one for air entry ( small)  .

Breizh

#7 JKM

JKM

Gold Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

Dear Breizh,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I did not have experience in unloading Chemical Drums. Thanks for sharing your insights.

JKM 

#8 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:21 PM

Breiz is correct in his comment regarding a second hole besides the 2" bung hole on the top lid of a 55-gallon drum.  This is an essential feature of all such drums because of the need to vent the vapor space in the drum and allow gravity drain when the drum is set on a convenient wooden saddle raised about 2 feet from grade.  Just about every 55-gallon drum I ever had in the plants and operating units I managed had a wooden saddle in order to have access to the drum's contents through gravity drain.  In fact, just about every Amine process unit I've operated and visited has had such an arrangement for makeup amine access.  The small 3/4" vent hole allows for the draining of the contents without creating a vacuum in the vapor space.

My operators used to make these wooden saddle mounts out of 2x4 wooden studs.