Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pressure Relief Valve In A Small Vessel/pipe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 CheAmine

CheAmine

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:17 AM

Hello,

We are currently in the process of designing a small vessel (or pipe) (ID: 400 mm, T-T:1700mm) that will be used to collect HC liquids from a pipeline and transfer the liquids to the closed drain. I would like to know if a PSV (i.e fire case) is required in this case for such small vessel which more or less like a pipe. note that the operating pressure is about 0.4 mbarg and the vessel will be installed above ground.

regards,

#2 chem2013

chem2013

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

Hi,

Please check design code of this item and accordingly PSV requirement will come out.

Thanks.

Regards.

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:34 AM

We are currently in the process of designing a small vessel (or pipe) (ID: 400 mm, T-T:1700mm) that will be used to collect HC liquids from a pipeline and transfer the liquids to the closed drain. I would like to know if a PSV (i.e fire case) is required in this case for such small vessel which more or less like a pipe. note that the operating pressure is about 0.4 mbarg and the vessel will be installed above ground.

CheAmine,

Such small volume of pipe segment (as a drip leg) connected to a pipeline appears doesn't need to be protected by PSV, but to make final decision more info and a sketch of the relevant system are required...

#4 SPC

SPC

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

CheAmine,

A sketch is required for your system to understand.

Generally all hydrocarbon liquid drains are connected to a closed drain Header from where all liquid will flow to closed drain drum  (U/G) with Pump with Lift (Negative suction) is provided.

I do not your system to understand requirement of a PSV.

Regards,

SPC