Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reciprocating Compressor Purging Issue

reciprocating compressor operating procedure purging inerting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Wondor

Wondor

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

I am working on the inerting/purging procedure of the system which includes the multi-stage reciprocating compressor. I am not sure whether the purging can be done without running the compressor or not.

My question is this.

When the reciprocating compressor is off, gas can pass through the cylinder?

If so, I will just simply inject pressurised gas into the stream without turning on the compressor.

If not, I have to turn on the compressor so that the purging gas can pass through the cylinders.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:11 PM

You should familiarize yourself with the compressor cylinder construction. Only thus educated can you make the right decision. Or, you might ask one of your operating staff. Yours is not the first such compressor to be put into service.

Be careful, too.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 06 February 2017 - 11:12 PM.

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:27 PM

Wondor:

The basic data needed to give a full, correct, and concise response to your query is missing.  You fail to give us sufficient data.

• What gas are you compressing?  Is it toxic, inert, combustible, or hazardous?
  • What gas are you proposing to use as purge?  Is it compatible with your compressed product gas?
  • How critical is it to have atmospheric air included or mixed with your compressed product gas?
  • Do you purge to the atmosphere or do you flare the purge?
  • What is the source pressure of the purge gas?
  • How many stages of compression does your compressor have?

Purge gas can pass through the cylinders of an idle, multi-stage, reciprocating compressor from the 1st stage suction drum to the final stage discharge - BUT the source pressure of the purge gas must be sufficient to overcome the pressure drops through the entire compression and intercooling system.  I have never seen this advocated, recommended, or employed.  I've found that the time required and the steps to employ take too much time and an efficient displacement of all the pre-existing atmospheric air is just not practical.  What I've always employed is a running purge where the compressor is manually operated with source gas and allowed to operate, pushing all the source gas through all the stages of compression and out to the final discharge.  This takes a minimum of time and is the most efficient way to evacuate the compressor of all pre-existing air, while filling the same with the product gas and slowly bring up the various stages up to rated discharge pressure.

Check with your operating manual or with your compressor's manufacturer.  I am sure that you will receive similar - if not exact advice.