Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Dual Thermodynamic Property Approach In Hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Radionise

Radionise

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

Guys,

Anyone knows if it is possible to use two fluid package to model particularly hydrocarbon gas assays with methanol system?

The HYSYS enhanced Peng-Robinson EOS seems to be the common fluid package to be used in the upstream oil and gas simulation of the topside processes. However, I start to have my doubt about its accuracy when methanol is introduced into the system.

Some simulators like ProMAX use dual fluid package approach. Is this possible in HYSYS?

If this is possible, then HYSYS perhaps could also be used to produce accurate hydrate curves.

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

Hello Radionise,

Maybe I have misunderstood your question, but this is what you can do (if I remember user interface well):

1) Hand-method is to switch fluid packages manually and watch for the simulation results.
2) By using Databook option, maybe there is an opportunity to change fluid package (as independent variable) and develop several different cases. But, I am not sure if this is possible.

#3 ADL

ADL

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Zauberberg @ Jan 29 2007, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Radionise,

Maybe I have misunderstood your question, but this is what you can do (if I remember user interface well):

1) Hand-method is to switch fluid packages manually and watch for the simulation results.
2) By using Databook option, maybe there is an opportunity to change fluid package (as independent variable) and develop several different cases. But, I am not sure if this is possible.

Hello Radionise,
In HYSIS you can write your own package, you can create a package with accurate components data from a good handbook. Or combining two different package of HYSIS in one by creating a new package

#4 Steve McGahey

Steve McGahey

Gold Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

Can you tell us more about how you want to combine these two fluid packages in a model? It looks like there's quite a few different things you might mean...

QUOTE (Radionise @ Jan 26 2007, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

Anyone knows if it is possible to use two fluid package to model particularly hydrocarbon gas assays with methanol system?

The HYSYS enhanced Peng-Robinson EOS seems to be the common fluid package to be used in the upstream oil and gas simulation of the topside processes. However, I start to have my doubt about its accuracy when methanol is introduced into the system.

Some simulators like ProMAX use dual fluid package approach. Is this possible in HYSYS?

If this is possible, then HYSYS perhaps could also be used to produce accurate hydrate curves.

#5 Radionise

Radionise

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:54 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

Steve, I'm not looking into 'combining' the fluid packages. But from what I've known, when required, simulators like ProMAX use EOS to estimate the gas properties while the activity coefficient model for the heavier liquids.

This was what I meant as the dual fluid property approach. The concept of using dual fluid property is not new and has been widely quoted in text books and literatures, even in those books that you guys have listed in http://www.cheresour...?showtopic=3412
particularly Seider's and also Turton's. So I reckon that someone out there would have come across such application in their daily work. Especially those who are involved in the downstream oil and gas business like refining.

Some people say that this is also possible with HYSYS although more efforts are required to get it work well.

I'd like to know if it does. and if it really does, how?

Sorry for the confusion.

As suggested by ADL and Zauberberg, I'm currently looking at the Databook option in HYSYS.

#6 Radionise

Radionise

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

just a quick note to my original post; dual fluid package may not be the solution to obtain an accurate hydrate curve, but out of curiousity, I still would like to know if this is possible in hysys.

thanks.

#7 Steve McGahey

Steve McGahey

Gold Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (Radionise @ Feb 4 2007, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve, I'm not looking into 'combining' the fluid packages. But from what I've known, when required, simulators like ProMAX use EOS to estimate the gas properties while the activity coefficient model for the heavier liquids.

You can quite certainly tell HYSYS to use one fluid package in one unit operation (eg a compressor using your solving your gas EOS desires), and another fluid package in another unit operation (eg a three-phase separator using an activity coefficent model solving your heavier liquids desires).

Is this what you mean?