Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Convert Kg/hr To Standard Barrels Per Day

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 junior1

junior1

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:34 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it's such a simple question but I've spent almost an hour without much success. So could some one please tell me how to convert kg/hr to STBPD. I've used three different sources but the answers were all very different from one another. Please could some one explain how to do this, I would much appreciate it.

#2 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:29 AM

Dear Junior 1,
I really doubt that you would have taken one hour to do this calculations.
What's the problem for the converison of Kg/hr to Barrels per day.Now first of all you have to have the density of the liquid as Kg/hr is mass flow rate and barrels/day is volumetric flow rate.
You can convert Kg/hr to m3/hr by dividing the mass flow rate by its density i.e.

Let
m=mass flow rate in Kg/hr
Density = Kg/m3

So now you will get the volumetric flow rate in m3/hr.

V=m/density in m3/hr
V=m/(24*density) in m3/day

And now you can convert this m3/day into barrels per day by multiplying by a factor of 6.2898098

I hope this will solve your query.

Regards,
Padmakar Katre

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:13 AM

Junior:

First and foremost, take some time out and go to the following website and download the free conversion program found there and called “Uconeer”. If you do this, you will never regret it.

http://www.katmarsoftware.com/index.html

Next, please note that you have used the term “standard” barrel, but yet failed to identify just exactly what are your “standard” measuring conditions. This is totally wrong engineering and is what is driving you up the wall – as it would anybody.

There are hundreds of standards employed in industry – it all depends on where or how you define them. You must state the pressure and temperature at which you are stating your standard. Even liquids have varying density (or specific volume) changes in accordance with the temperature (and even the pressure) at which they are measured. Harvey Wilson, the chemical engineer who wrote this program, is very keen on expressing that very point and you can use this program to resolve your problem in several manners – with accuracy and confidence. But you must know what the “standard” conditions that you want to employ are.

This subject of so-called “standard” conditions will continue to confound and confuse new engineers, inexperienced engineers, and others who don’t know any different – until the last days of the world if people simply won’t sit down and understand that the subject of so-called standards is one of wishes, whims, or personal preferences – all of which vary, even within the impeccable and all-righteous European SI and metric community.

My “standard barrels" per day are measured at 60 oF and 14.696 psia. I don’t know what yours are measured at. State your referenced standard and take the specific volume at that reference and the answer is forthcoming.

I hope this experience helps.

#4 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

Perhaps those of us in the oil (not oil & gas) business are lucky. I have only heard of there being one standard applied to liquid petroleum products. That is the set of conditions defined above by Art Montemayor - 60F & 14.696 psia.

For gases, I have seen 60F & 14.696 psia and, less often, 70F & 14.696. I've also seen the base pressure of 14.73 psia. The IUPAC uses 0C and 1 bara, but other definitions in SI/metric units I've seen include 15C, 20C and 101.325 kPA[A]. And sometimes we call these "standard conditions", but sometimes they're referred to as "normal conditions". Hopefully, this illustrates the oft-made point that others may not know what you mean using "your own obvious" definitions.

Are we all sufficiently confused?

#5 junior1

junior1

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

Thanks guys that was really helpful. About the standard conditions it is quite confusing to know that we have many different standards. I guess definition of standard varry across the world then!! On our project we use 15degreesC and 1.013bar.