Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hysys Utility: Critical Properties

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 jprocess

jprocess

Gold Member

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

Question:What is the difference between True Tc and Pc vs. Pseudo Tc and Pc?
Answer made by related COMPANY:
True critical properties are those properties calculated using the mixing rules associated with the property package chosen. Pseudo Critical Properties use simple linear models to estimate the critical properties of a mixture. They are often very different from the true critical points and have no real physical significance.

So what is the application of Pseudo Critical Properties Provided by HYSYS? wink.gif

#2 rxnarang

rxnarang

Gold Member

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:04 PM

Two applications come to mind:

a) We report the fluid pseudo Txc and Pc on th eheat exchanger data sheet to help the thermal rating guy. Appaarantely theri prgram works with pseudo rather than real critical properties.

cool.gif law of corresponding state;- One can compute the Z factor of a gas by computing the pseudo TC and Pc, and then looking up the Z factor graph.

I am sure there are other applications as well.

I have observed in the past that sometimes reporting the pseudo values causes more grief. For instance in a control valve data sheet the vapor pressure can be more than the psedo Pc, which totally freaks out the instrument guy using his standard software.

Regards
Rajiv

#3 jprocess

jprocess

Gold Member

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:01 AM

Dear Rajiv,
a) We report the fluid pseudo Txc and Pc on th eheat exchanger data sheet to help the thermal rating guy. Appaarantely theri prgram works with pseudo rather than real critical properties.

You mean softwares like HTFS and B-jac work with pseudo properties?What logical reason caould be behind of it?

#4 joerd

joerd

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 371 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

I can't speak for HTFS but I know that some correlations and models have been fitted (a long time ago) using pseudo-critical properties. So, if you want to use them, you have to give the proper input, which is a pseudo-property in this case. The same is for Cp/Cv values. Hysys computes them fairly rigorously from the EOS, but oftentimes the equipment vendor has calibrated his design models with Cp/(Cp-R). So you will have to make sure that both parties understand what data you are providing - as always ;-)