Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Am I Going Mad!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 JEBradley

JEBradley

Gold Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:20 AM

I'm not a student but I believe my question is probably quite basic and people will laugh at my ignorance tongue.gif

Looking for data on the enthalpy of solution for certain compounds I went to Perry's - Wonderful! The data is there but the units are in kg cal/g mol. Can someone explain what this means?? I was expecting something along the lines of cal/g mol but alas there was this extra kg stuck on the beginning.

Checked in another version of Perrys and the units are G. cal/g mol - as a European i'm horrified as this means Giga Calories!!! my god who's have thought such temperatures could be reached by throwing salt in water smile.gif

But seriously - any help would be appreciated.

#2 joerd

joerd

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

I agree, some pretty bad labeling here. Read the note below the table and it becomes clear what the units mean because they tell you how they convert to Btu/lbmol. rolleyes.gif

What Perry calls kg-cal / g-mole equals kcal/mole as we know it, i.e. 1000 calories per mole, or 4186.8 J/mol.
What Perry calls G-cal/g-mole is actually gram-calories per mole, or cal/mole, i.e. 4.1868 J/mol.

Pretty confusing but it looks like you haven't lost your wits.