Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation Column

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 acbaker

acbaker

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

Hello,
I am looking to design a packed distillation column and the information is very limited. I'm looking to get a general idea of a column's height and diameter to fit a separation of Methanol and Water. The column is going to be bought from a surplus store and is not exactly known what media will be in the column or what size. I have already done some calculations and came up with 10 ideal stages for this process. It is going to be a relatively small column. Are there any generic ratios for height to diameter that anyone knows of? I know they don't normally teach you that type of thing in school but if someone has many years of experience they might be able to give me a better idea. Here is the information I know right now.

Separation of 90% Methanol and Water solution.
Methanol off the top is 98% pure
10 ideal stages
HETP is normally somewhere between 1 - 3 m
Flow is very small

Thank you.

#2 riven

riven

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

It is going to be very difficult to develop a solution without the mass flow. Further I strongly suggest that you get the media uncertainty sorted as hETP values of 1-3 with produce widely different designs.

A few questions though.
Why a packed column, student experiemnts?
Have you calculated actual stages?
Surely when calculating the ideal stages you could easily work out the diameter?

Finally I do not know what school you are in but this is a problem that you should be able to sort as a third year in Chem Eng. Distillation is bread and butter for us. So if you are not in chem Eng, you may contact your local group/uni?