Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flow Velocity In Pump Minimum Flow Line

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ayan_dg

ayan_dg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

Can I use a velocity of 6 m/s in pump min flow line (recirculation to suction vessel). The fluid is clean water at 40 degree Centigrade. If I do not use this velocity the pressure drop in the line becomes so less that I have to use a very large DP across the control valve & this is becoming very close to the critical pressure drop.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

For clean water, I recommend the normal 5-7 ft/sec of average velocity. You should never qualify the size of line by the pressure drop you have across a control valve. If anything, it is always the opposite.

What do you mean by "critical flow"? There are many things today being defined as so-called "Critical" - and people fail to stop and define what they mean. If you are dealing with clean water, what is so critical about your flow?

If you are reluctant to take the full pressure drop across the control valve, that's OK. Simply install a 2-stage pressure reduction valve. This is what is commonly done with gas regulators when they are confronted with supersonic flow. You can also use a pressure regulator before your control valve.

#3 viral desai

viral desai

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

Before I proceed to give you an answer, let me know what is the temp and pressure at which you handle water. Do you mean that you encounter pressure in the control valve below the vap pressure of water at that temp?

Also, 6 m/s is very high velocity if you are using carbon steel as the MOC.

You should be using 6 Fps as a design velocity for the min. circulation line and size the line based on pump min. ciruculation flow.