Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Tube Thickness

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 heisenberg

heisenberg

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:25 AM

Hi All

I need to determine the thickeness of a tube in a heat exchanger. I am not sure where I can find a suitable equation that helps to calculate the critical thickeness of the tubes. I know both the intenal and external pressures of the fluids and I am trying to come out with a tube configuration for my heat exchanger but I would like to check that my selection of tube thickness will stand the shell pressure which is relatively high (64 bara).

Thank you in advanse for any help or suggestions.

Tube

Fluid: Gas
Pressure: 2.06 bara
Tempereture: 1250C

Shell

Fluid: Water
Pressure: 64.2 bara
Temperature: 280C

#2 maitreyee ghosh

maitreyee ghosh

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:45 AM

Hi,

Refer Heat Transfer book by D.Q.Kern

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

I do not believe that any reference or method of calculating the minimum tube wall thickness necessary to withstand a partial vacuum is to be found in Don Q. Kern's famous book, "Process Heat Transfer". At least, I've never found it there.

I believe you will find the methodology and calculation method detailed in ASME 31.3 - "Process Piping". I know I have the information specifically referring to condenser tubes, but I am unable to find it at this moment.

#4 heisenberg

heisenberg

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

I believe you will find the methodology and calculation method detailed in ASME 31.3 - "Process Piping". I know I have the information specifically referring to condenser tubes, but I am unable to find it at this moment.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Hi

Thank you very much for the information. I have a silly question: How can I get hold of the ASME 31.3. Will I be able to find such document in my University library?

Thanks

#5 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

Heisenberg:

Yes, if you are referring to a University's Technical Engineering Library - then they certainly should have a copy of the complete ASME Code -- including B31.3.

You can also find the hoop stress design formula in engineering text books; but I specifically refer you to B31.3 because it is THE reference and the code by which piping is designed - at least in the Western Hemisphere. If you are going to be a professional engineer it is appropriate and smart to get involved with B31.3 now and learn to live by the ASME code - or its local equivalent if you reside outside the western hemisphere.