Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation Column Design For Acetone/isopropanol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 missyabarai

missyabarai

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hi, i am a student and now i need to do my final year project regarding distillation column design for acetone and isopropanol

flow rate 600kmole/h, feed composition is 80 mole% acetone, temperature of feed stream is 35°C, pressure in column is 1 atm, 98 mole% recovery of acetone in the feed mixture and purity of 99.9 mole% acetone.

98 mol% recovery, therefore
Amount of acetone (top) = 600kmole/h x 0.80 x 0.98
= 470.4kmole/h

Top product flow = 470.4/0.999
= 470.87kmole/h

Bottom product flow = 600 – 470.87
= 129.13kmole/h

Acetone (bottom) = 600 x 0.80 x 0.02
= 9.6kmole/h

xW =9.6/ 129.13
= 0.0743
xF = 0.98
xD = 0.999

i have calculated the above parameters, now i have problems finding the relative volatiltiy and by the way i will be assuming q = 0 so as to find my reflux ratio easily. after getting the number of trays using McCabe, how do i go ahead to calculate the tray efficiency?

one more question will be what values i need to calculate in order to have the distillation column converged in HYSYS. how do i calculate the reboiler, condenser and pre heater duty values and the size of the column diameter?

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Assuming ideal gas and liquid behavior results in the relative volatility being the ratio of vapor pressures of the two components.

Tray efficiency estimation is discussed in Chapter 22, Principles of Diffusion and Mass transfer between Phases, of the 3rd Edition of my McCabe and Smith. It is highly empirical though. An internet search may prove useful.

Column sizing is discussed in Chapter 19, Distillation, of the 3rd Edition of my McCabe and Smith. I recommend books by Trebal; King; and Peters and Timmerhaus. I also recommend you go to the websites of the major sieve tray fabricators and see if they have design manuals you can download. Google is your friend!