Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Interview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kunal_gulati

kunal_gulati

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

hello everybody... as my campus placements have started.. i need to know what kind of basic questions companies ask in placements.. plz ask me questions that u ppl think can b asked in placement interviews. i'll try n answer them.. plz ask as many as u can.. it'll be a good practice for me.. thnx

main subjects : mass transfer, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and a little bit of designing..

#2 kunal_gulati

kunal_gulati

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:19 AM

dear members, plz reply....

#3 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

Dear,
I don't think that the members will respond to your query the way you expect. The best thing is that whatever subjects you have studied just revise all make your basic fundamentals strong. During this revisions if any doubt comes to your mind then come with the specific questions I am sure you will get reply here by the CheRes Forum members.

#4 process101

process101

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

hi kunal:
usually the companies on campus don't ask allot of question.
the following question they might ask you.
(1) what do you know about our company?
(2) why are you interested in this company?
(3) why did you choose to be an engineer?
(4) describe your personality in three words?
(5) where do you see yourself in five years?
And also they will ask you some kind of personal questions.
if you go on Google and type basic interview question you will get all question. But don't worry
My first job they did,nt ask me many questions.
Second job no question just little bit and next day i was hired. but be prepared you never know what they ask you. They just want to make sure that you are sharp minded guy and can you can make good decisions.
thats all
but good luck

#5 kunal_gulati

kunal_gulati

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:16 PM

thanx process101, i agree to u that such general questions r quite oftenly asked.. other than these, i wanted to ask u abt the technical questions they ask, but as suggested above, i think i shud b a little more precise in asking the questions..

My strong subject wud b fluid flow..and i was going thru laminar and turbulent flow..

what related to reynold's no. and turbulent flow can b asked

#6 afd

afd

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:18 AM

Kunal:

As a fresher out of college you should be loaded with the intense fundamentals and be thorough with the topics or relevant interest to you. So shoot and get updated dont expect to be spoon fed with questions that are expected. Be self motivated and infuse yourself with subject knowledge as you do not possess experience.

As a preparation checklist:
Prepare yourself with knowledge about the subject and the potential employer and its operation, its competitors, its strenghts and weaknesses, stratgic goals, competition and how you can play a pivotal role in the scenario.
Prepare yourself to relate to the interviewers needs and enlist your accomplishments.
Always think before answering: pause, think and speak.
apperance and enthusiasm will play a pivotal role.
Make a first good impression.
Ask questions to exhibit your motivation and drive to learn.
Interviews are focused on determining: knowledge,motivation,intellectual capacity and personality and employers can use structured sequential interviews, panel or mass interviews.

Finally, Kunal remember that you are selling yourself and therefore stirve to prove that you are the best and better than all the rest, and establish yourself as an asset to the employer with an supply of inexhaustible creative ideas: after all thats what engineering is all about.

All the best

AFD

#7 rsk

rsk

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:54 AM

i would suggest u give more stress on fluid dynamics & heat transfer-line sizing, pressure drop, frictional losses in lamina & turbulent flows & their functional dependance on velocity.
Heat transfer- Shell & tube HX TEMA classification, cross/counter/cocurrent flows, when they are used other types of HX advantages/diadvantages. temperature cross over, LMTD.
Different approaches of HX sizing NTU method,LMTD method what is a difference, what is approach,heat exchanger efficiency.
How hx performance is reported, go through a specification sheet of HX understand what it says, standards followed in design.