Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Recirculation Line Sizing In Bfp For Minimum Flow

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 rsk

rsk

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:44 AM

To maintain minimum recirculation flow through BFP during all operational conditions arrangement of recirculation line with orifice from pump discharge to deareator is being chosen.
The inputs are from pump curve the max pressure at req minimum flow of 525m3/hr is 75kg/cm2 & deareator pressure is 5kg/cm2 please elaborate the broad steps i should follow for sizing of orifice & line.
regards

#2 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

rsk,

The minimum flow @ pressure from pump curve are 525m3/hr is 75kg/cm2 (@ specific density) respective.

1. Base on 525 m3/h, suggest maximum velocity of 3 m/s, size the recycle line.

2. Base on 525 m3/h , above estimated recycle line size and along the line downstream of recycle line, determine the back pressure (Pd) at the downstream of restriction orifice (RO)

3. Base on 525 m3/h, from to pump and to RO upstream, determine the pressure at RO upstream (Pu)

4. Calculate the RO size base on 525 m3/h, Differential pressure (DP) = Pd-Pu, incompressible fluid.
Check your result with the calculator here.

Good luck.

#3 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:09 AM

The calculation procedure given by Joe is the right way to size an RO, but I must ask whether an RO is the right tool for a job. If you are "wasting" 525m3/h at 75 kg/cm2 continuously through a recycle line that is an awful lot of pumping energy being wasted.

If 525m3/h is your MINIMUM flow then I guess your BEP will be around 2500 m3/h? It would be unusual to pump this quantity at 75 kg/cm2 with a single pump. Also, that is one massive boiler you've got there. Either you have a decimal point position problem, or you need to re-evaluate your control strategy.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE (katmar @ Jul 17 2008, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The calculation procedure given by Joe is the right way to size an RO, but I must ask whether an RO is the right tool for a job. If you are "wasting" 525m3/h at 75 kg/cm2 continuously through a recycle line that is an awful lot of pumping energy being wasted.

If 525m3/h is your MINIMUM flow then I guess your BEP will be around 2500 m3/h? It would be unusual to pump this quantity at 75 kg/cm2 with a single pump. Also, that is one massive boiler you've got there. Either you have a decimal point position problem, or you need to re-evaluate your control strategy.

1-Single pump but several stages.
2-Considering fixed RO might be because of limitations for applying other min. flow control methods due to special characteristics of pump curve,lack of possibility for RO installation in discharge line,...rsk will explain the reasons.

Regards

#5 rsk

rsk

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for replying
the scheme for recirculation is with contol valve in recirculation line. the flow control loop measuring total flow maitains minimum forward flow.
I just wanted to know the sizing approach for the alternative.

#6 wil ma

wil ma

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

May be you can use a "schroeder-valve"

http://www.offshore-...es/h-schroeder/

Kind regards

#7 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:28 AM

If this is Boiler Feed Water service, i have seen many times ARC or "Schroeder" valve being used.