Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Announcing Dwsim - An Open-source Process Simulator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#26 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

No hard feelings at all, Padmakar. Anyway, I think you got it wrong. Here is the list of the main features of DWSIM:

- Thermodynamic models: Peng-Robinson, Soave-Redlich-Kwong, Lee-Kesler, UNIFAC, UNIQUAC, NRTL and Ideal Gas;

- Unit Operations: Mixer, Splitter, Separator, Pump, Compressor, Expander, Heater, Cooler, Valve, Pipe Segment, Shortcut Column, Heat Exchanger, Reactors, Distillation and Absorption Columns;

- Utilities: Phase Envelope, Hydrate Calculations, Pure Component Properties, Critical Point, PSV Sizing, Vessel Sizing, Spreadsheet and Petroleum Cold Flow Properties;

- Tools: Hypothetical Components Generator, Bulk C7+ and Distillation Curves Petroleum Characterization, Reactions Manager and Component Creator.

I'm still keeping it in a beta state because I'm still in the validation process, that's why new versions are being released with corrections for the bugs that I'm encountering during the validation. Of course I wouldn't recommend using DWSIM in a production scenario (yet), I would say that it should be used mainly for educational purposes. Independently of that, you could give it a try and tell me what you think.

So far the results are encouraging... I got almost identical results when simulating a NGPU on DWSIM and UNISIM. The results of the cavett problem as built in DWSIM (which you can download) are already validated against COCO. As soon as possible I'll release the NGPU simulation file together with a validation report.

Best Regards,
Daniel.

#27 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

Great work Daniel. And thanks for your selfless efforts from the engineering community. Even if I never use the software, I can't complain that I didn't get what I paid for. To me, that is a very significant point to make. No one should attempt a commercial design based on unproven software. I'm sure that was not Daniel's intention and if others choose to do so, they do so at their own risk. On the other hand, it's a very interesting tool for students and unemployed process engineers. Thanks again Daniel.

#28 Qalander (Chem)

Qalander (Chem)

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (DanW @ Mar 27 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No hard feelings at all, Padmakar. Anyway, I think you got it wrong. Here is the list of the main features of DWSIM:

- Thermodynamic models: Peng-Robinson, Soave-Redlich-Kwong, Lee-Kesler, UNIFAC, UNIQUAC, NRTL and Ideal Gas;

- Unit Operations: Mixer, Splitter, Separator, Pump, Compressor, Expander, Heater, Cooler, Valve, Pipe Segment, Shortcut Column, Heat Exchanger, Reactors, Distillation and Absorption Columns;

- Utilities: Phase Envelope, Hydrate Calculations, Pure Component Properties, Critical Point, PSV Sizing, Vessel Sizing, Spreadsheet and Petroleum Cold Flow Properties;

- Tools: Hypothetical Components Generator, Bulk C7+ and Distillation Curves Petroleum Characterization, Reactions Manager and Component Creator.

I'm still keeping it in a beta state because I'm still in the validation process, that's why new versions are being released with corrections for the bugs that I'm encountering during the validation. Of course I wouldn't recommend using DWSIM in a production scenario (yet), I would say that it should be used mainly for educational purposes. Independently of that, you could give it a try and tell me what you think.

So far the results are encouraging... I got almost identical results when simulating a NGPU on DWSIM and UNISIM. The results of the cavett problem as built in DWSIM (which you can download) are already validated against COCO. As soon as possible I'll release the NGPU simulation file together with a validation report.

Best Regards,
Daniel.

Heartiest Congratulations on your Splendid Untiring Effort;just maintain the spirit and Prevalent Positive Approach.

Anticipate/Wish further successes coming your way.

Just Tell how can I be of any help/support!

#29 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:41 AM

DWSIM Build 3377 is ready and adds important features to the Calculator, like the possibiility to abort the current calculation and recalculate the entire flowsheet. Some bugs were also fixed, as usual.

Because of the changes needed to implement the new features, the interface became even more responsible during calculation. Check it out!

Download Installer (12.6 MB)
Download Patch (3.9 MB, update from previous 33xx builds to 3377)
Download Source Code (6.4 MB)

#30 chemtan

chemtan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:09 AM

@Dan:

Great work.. I'm currently in the process of downloading and installing it, will keep you posted on any bugs\enhancements that come in my mind.

BTW, I can do some "alpha" "beta" testing of your software if you want - just send me in the scenarios that you want to get tested. Do you create any database of bugs\enhancements for your software?

I cannot promise a full time support, but will try my level best to give as much time that I have.

#31 chemtan

chemtan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:18 AM

Looks like download does not work - the server does not respond

#32 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (chemtan @ Apr 21 2009, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like download does not work - the server does not respond

It is working here, chemtan... try it now.

If you wish to help, you can do it by sending some feedback as you use the software. Right now I'm doing some tests and correcting bugs. I'm also studying how to model a Gibbs Reactor.

In the current version of DWSIM, the aspect that needs more attention is the implementation of reactors. At the time I modeled them I didn't have the opportunity to do the necessary testing. The equilibrium reactor is the most critical one, as it is the hardest to model. In the version released today I did some corrections based on a ethylene reaction (compared to HYSYS) with success, but it needs more testing with different reactions, specially multiple reactions in parallel.

I'm looking forward to know what you think about DWSIM.

Regards,
Daniel

#33 Dacs

Dacs

Gold Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

I'm also interested in beta testing your software if you need some manpower for it smile.gif

#34 Guest_payauaries_*

Guest_payauaries_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:22 AM

Dear Daniel,
I am really appreciated regarding you were launched your OpenSource in this site.
We , in Indonesian are scarcely to gain some software like yours. It was very valuable for us to get the software because of Free. Well done, Daniel.
We hope you are always on the forward step in this field and the inventor.
GOOD JOB , Daniel.

Best regards,

Aries Satriyo.

#35 nano_geek

nano_geek

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hello Daniel

I'm from Malaysia... have one year working experience with process simulation software (VMGSim) for consultation work in Malaysian oil and gas company... Currently I'm in the process of pursuing my higher degree in chemical engineering and hoping to join academic sumday.

May I know from which university are you from? In developing the software do you engage any collaborative support from any recognized institution?... at least from your university faculty?

Thanks and bless you for your noble effort... smile.gif

#36 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (nano_geek @ May 15 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Daniel

I'm from Malaysia... have one year working experience with process simulation software (VMGSim) for consultation work in Malaysian oil and gas company... Currently I'm in the process of pursuing my higher degree in chemical engineering and hoping to join academic sumday.

May I know from which university are you from? In developing the software do you engage any collaborative support from any recognized institution?... at least from your university faculty?

Thanks and bless you for your noble effort... smile.gif

Hello nano_geek, sorry for the late answer.

I graduated at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, in Natal, Brazil. Currently I'm working as a Process Engineer for a brazilian petroleum company, but DWSIM has nothing to do with that, it is a personal project actually, started before I got this job.

I don't have any 'direct' support from universities, but Prof. Samuel Cartaxo from the Federal University of Ceara, in Fortaleza, Brazil, is helping me in the development of DWSIM. I'm not sure but I think he doesn't have any support from UFC also, instead he is doing that because he is an enthusiast (just like me tongue.gif)...

If you need additional information, pleasy visit the FAQ page at DWSIM's website.

Thanks!

/Daniel

#37 demank

demank

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

Hello Daniel,
You are really great., smile.gif
btw2 I cannot download from sourceforge.
Would you like to give me another link download?

#38 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (demank @ Jul 17 2009, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Daniel,
You are really great., smile.gif
btw2 I cannot download from sourceforge.
Would you like to give me another link download?

Thanks, demank!

Try this direct link: http://ufpr.dl.sourc...5beta_b3399.exe

Regards,
Daniel

#39 demank

demank

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:48 AM

thanks a lot daniel.
i have already installed it.
comparing to commercial software like HYSYS, component database properties like theol59 in dwsim not exist.

Hope in the future this dwsim will complete component database properties, smile.gif

#40 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (demank @ Jul 22 2009, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks a lot daniel.
i have already installed it.
comparing to commercial software like HYSYS, component database properties like theol59 in dwsim not exist.

Hope in the future this dwsim will complete component database properties, smile.gif

demank,

I don't recognize theol59 just by its name, but if you want your component available for selection in DWSIM, just send me its properties together with the references, that it will appear in the next version wink.gif. DWSIM needs properties like molar weight, critical pressure, temperature, compressibility and volume, acentric factor, ideal gas enthalpy/gibbs energy of formation, UNIFAC structure (optional), Rackett parameter (optional) and temperature dependent properties like liquid viscosity, ideal gas heat capacity, vapor pressure and enthalpy of vaporization.

Regards,
Daniel

#41 demank

demank

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

Hallo Daniel,

theol59 is hysys name for therminol 59.
therminol series, 55, 59, etc are heating medium oil from SOLUTIA product. For the properties you can refer to HYSYS or to SOLUTIA by yourself.
Otherwise, if you want me to provide those data to you, please let me know you mail.

#42 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (demank @ Jul 22 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hallo Daniel,

theol59 is hysys name for therminol 59.
therminol series, 55, 59, etc are heating medium oil from SOLUTIA product. For the properties you can refer to HYSYS or to SOLUTIA by yourself.
Otherwise, if you want me to provide those data to you, please let me know you mail.

Humm.... got it. Coincidentally, we use Therminol 55 as heat medium in one of our NGPU units...

#43 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

DWSIM 2.0 for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X was released and includes a number of important new features like CAPE-OPEN compliancy, a new three-phase flash algorithm and a PC-SAFT Property Package. Below is a list of the changes since version 1.8:

.NET Edition (Windows):

- [NEW] Support for CAPE-OPEN Unit Operations, Property Packages(1.0/1.1) and Plugins (Flowsheet Monitoring Objects)
- [NEW] DWSIM Property Packages can now be exposed to external CAPE-OPEN compliant simulators
- [NEW] Inside-Out Three-Phase (VLLE) Flash Algorithm
- [NEW] PC-SAFT (without association term) Property Package
- [NEW] UNIFAC Property Package with Liquid-Liquid interactionparameters
- [NEW] Liquid-Liquid Extractor operation mode for the AbsorptionColumn
- [NEW] Three-Phase separation mode for the Vessel
- [NEW] ChemSep database automatic loading
- [NEW] Watch window - allows property monitoring from different objects at the same time
- [NEW] CAPE-OPEN Unit Reports window - view output from CAPE-OPEN Unit Operations
- [NEW] Updated flowsheet drawing theme
- [NEW] 'Send Error Info' button added to the Unhandled Exception window
- [NEW] New version checking tool - informs the user when a new version becomes available and downloads the setup file
- [FIX] General bug fixes and speed improvements

Mono Edition (Linux/Mac):

- [NEW] Support for Managed (100% .NET code) CAPE-OPEN Unit Operations
- [NEW] Inside-Out Three-Phase (VLLE) Flash Algorithm
- [NEW] PC-SAFT (without association term) Property Package
- [NEW] UNIFAC Property Package with Liquid-Liquid interaction parameters
- [NEW] Liquid-Liquid Extractor operation mode for the Absorption Column
- [NEW] Three-Phase separation mode for the Vessel
- [NEW] Watch window - allows property monitoring from different objects at the same time
- [NEW] Updated flowsheet drawing theme
- [FIX] General bug fixes and speed improvements

To download binaries and sources for both editions, go to http://dwsim.inforside.com.br

Thanks,
Daniel

#44 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hi all,

DWSIM 2.1 for Windows was released, including a Binary VLE/LLE Data Regression Utility, two PRSV2 Property Packages and ChemSep Lite 6.90 (now with 400 compounds and column model supporting 40 compounds and 300 stages). List of changes since version 2.0:

- [NEW] Includes PRSV2 Property Package with Van Laar-type mixing rule (original PRSV2 w/ Margules MR is now PRSV2-M)
- [NEW] New Property Package: Peng-Robinson-Stryjek-Vera 2 (PRSV2)
- [NEW] Added the Compound Creator Utility and corresponding user database structure
- [NEW] Added a Binary Data Regression utility
- [NEW] Added feature request #3409646 (Name given to Material Objects)
- [CHG] Rewritten solver logic increases calculation speed by 35% (Cavett sample)
- [CHG] Includes ChemSep Lite 6.90, now with 400+ compound database and 40 compounds/300 stages Column model
- [CHG] Enhanced Unit Set Creator to start with units from the current system
- [CHG] Changed density input from Specific Gravity to API Gravity on the Dist. Curves Characterization Utility
- [FIX] Fixed solver not recalculating outlet streams
- [FIX] Fixed infinite volumetric flow on first Material Stream calculation through the property grid
- [FIX] Fixed Adjust and Spec Ops not showing anything on the property grid
- [FIX] Fixed Lee-Kesler Cp/Cv calculation
- [FIX] Fixed Distillation Curves Petroleum Characterization Utility
- [FIX] Fixed Pipe Segment model overall HTC calculation and liquid phase volume retrieval
- [FIX] Fixed Spanish translation of the Object Palette
- [FIX] Fixed bug #3409641 (Call to Terminate missing)
- [FIX] Fixed bug #3409637 (Collection Count method called twice in a row)
- [FIX] Fixed bug #3409628 (ICapeUtilities queried twice in a row)

For more details and links to installer, docs and tutorials, go to http://sourceforge.n...title=Main_Page

Thanks,
Daniel

#45 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

DWSIM Mono Edition (Linux/Mac) was also updated to Build 4418. Changelog:
- [NEW] Compound Creator Utility and corresponding user database structure
- [NEW] Binary VLE/LLE Data Regression utility
- [NEW] New Property Package: Peng-Robinson-Stryjek-Vera 2 (PRSV2/Margules and PRSV2/Van Laar)
- [NEW] Includes ChemSep Lite 6.90 database with 400 compounds
- [FIX] Fixed Lee-Kesler Cp/Cv calculation
- [FIX] Fixed Pipe Segment model overall HTC calculation and liquid phase volume retrieval
For more details and links to installer, docs and tutorials, go to http://sourceforge.n...title=Main_Page

#46 thaihy

thaihy

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

Thanks Dany,

Great job! I mean how great you are enthusiastic in Chemical engineering, that is a real effort and contribution to the community. You set forth a platform for engineers who are truly responsible for whatever he/she makes of. The commercial software will not be always available being beside each of us but yours that one can create him/herself a simulation tool and share to others for good. Let treat it like a joint project and take it easy.

Cheers,

Thai

#47 Saidar

Saidar

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hey DanW,

All I want to say is excellent work, what you have achieved by yourself is amazing. If I may ask what is driving you to do this? It must be extremely time consuming.

#48 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hey DanW,

All I want to say is excellent work, what you have achieved by yourself is amazing. If I may ask what is driving you to do this? It must be extremely time consuming.

Hi Saidar,

I do it because I really enjoy it (at least most of the time :)). The CAPE-OPEN stuff gave me some extra motivation recently, as I ran out of "ideas" before the 2.0 version. It is really something that makes me proud of DWSIM, because I thought that I would never be able to do it.

Cheers,
Daniel

#49 electrosin

electrosin

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hello Daniel,
I see you've done a great job...
May I ask you a few question.
Are you working by yourself or you have some kind of team?
Are you still developing this software now?

#50 DanW

DanW

Gold Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hello Daniel,
I see you've done a great job...
May I ask you a few question.
Are you working by yourself or you have some kind of team?
Are you still developing this software now?

Yes, only by myself but with a lot of help from users finding/reporting bugs and making suggestions.

DWSIM is still being actively developed, in fact I've released a new build last saturday.

/Daniel