Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Choosing An Undergraduate School

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

Hello, again.

My name is , and I'm a recent high school graduate from. I graduated as Salutatorian of my class, losing first place to a good friend, fortunately. What brings me here again is that at the moment, I cannot decide which undergraduate school to attend in order to pursue a career in chemical engineering. Paying no mind to finances (I'm lucky enough to be full-paid no matter my choice of school), could anyone offer any advice as to which school of the following two I should attend:

I understand that it's ultimately my responsibility to figure out which school will be best for me, and..... that's why I'm here, going out on a limb, so to speak, and hoping that maybe I will find someone who has a first-hand knowledge of either or both of the aforementioned schools.

Any comments or questions are welcome, and can be sent to my email address at .

Thanks for your time!

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

Jeremy:

First, allow me to congratulate you on your high school achievement. Taking the position of Salutatorian is no defeat – it is an acknowledged achievement. I said it before, and I re-state it now: I'm proud living "next door" to Opelousas if it continues to turn out H.S. grads such as you.

In your prior query of Feb of this year, you advised you were thinking of studying Chemistry. Now, your goal has shifted to that of Chemical Engineering. This puts your goals more into perspective. However, this is almost August and you should be showing up for your first class probably next month! Time's a'wasting.

I'm not familiar with Louisiana Scholars' College; it was formed by the Louisiana legislature 21 years ago. This only means it is relatively young – as an organized college. I am familiar with the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. However, like most practicing engineers, I would not take the liberty of recommending either since I am devoid of personal, academic experiences within these two institutions. I dare say, other engineers would take the same stance. It is not fair to the student or to the institution to make a recommendation when one is not a practicing student at that institution – and, furthermore, has no personal experiences with other institutions. You can't recommend if you can't honestly compare with other competing institutions. All you can say is that the institution is fair, good, amiable, and comfortable. You can't really attest to the relative quality of its staff, its facilities, its products, and certainly not if it is better than others. This is unfortunate for young high school grads to confront because they really can't put a positive and secure finger on their decision. They can only go on their evidence-in-hand and recommendations. However, even the recommendations can't be taken with 100% of accuracy. Most recommendations – such as even my own – would tend to be tainted with a smudging of bias, preference, and personal opinion. The proof is still in the pudding.

My first opinion would favor LSU @ Lafayette. I think they have a larger and diversified physical plant and facilities. They have a formal (albeit, small) Chemical Engineering Department. They are very close to Opelousas and family. Do not underestimate this latter feature – especially the first year. You probably will run into what you expect: fierce and capable academic competition over and above what you have been accustomed to in high school. Your fellow ChE classmates will be fighting for the same goals you are: the top positions in the ChE graduating class and they won't be shy about it. The academic struggle may get very ugly and fierce. You will have a definite advantage with family support and counsel close to home. The first year is a year of elimination – or "culling". Only the strong and the prepared will survive. Any advantage you can use during this year will be a definite plus. You shouldn't be going home each weekend, but your family will have convenience to visit you from time-to-time to bolster your morale and spirit.

Louisiana Scholars' College only lists a College of Science & Technology, under which they have a School of Engineering Technology that only seems to offer a BS in Electronics Engineering Technology, a BS in Industrial Engineering Technology, and an AS in Electronics Technology. I did not see any reference to Chemical Engineering. However, I presume you have already been in contact with the Dean, Dr. Austin Temple at temple@nsula.edu. You should obtain a clear and detailed scope of their engineering curriculum – especially in Chemical Engineering.

Above everything else, do not be misled by the misconception that great and famous engineering programs produce the great and famous engineers. This is simply (and fortunately) not true. It is the resultant quality of the practicing engineer that makes the engineering institution famous – not the other way around. Therefore, while the size, flexibility, diversity, and strength of a large and famous engineering school is somewhat of an advantage, it is certainly not a guarantee that if graduated from there, you will be a great and successful engineer. The manner, the amount of work you put in, the dedication to your studies and the similar dedication of your professors will play a larger part in making you a successful engineer. The size and wealth of the university has no bearing on how much you will learn and absorb in preparing yourself for your chosen profession. The results of your university training will be directly attributable only to you, your sacrifices, your work ethics, and your perseverance. You and you alone, will determine your own success.

Good Luck.

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:23 PM