Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Calculate Lpg Pipe Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 dilshiva

dilshiva

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:08 AM

dear all,

iam currenly doing a mini project on LPG bullets and pipe sizing.

iam confused with sizing liquid and vapor lines.

my requirement is:

flow: (L) 1000 kg/hr; liquid density = 470kg/m3; - what will be the pipe size?

flow(V) 1000kg/hr;

Bullet pressure = 14.5kg/cm2(g

pressure at outlet of vaporiser = 1.2kg/cm2(g)

Temperature at outlet of vaporiser = 25degc

thanks & regards,
shiva

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:28 AM

shiva:

That you are a confused chemical engineering student is no surprise. Many students in similar situations are. However, you don't tell us your background as to what year you are in and how many fluid mechanic classes and chemical engineering classes you have taken. We don't know your preparation, so we possibly will continue to confuse you or totally confound you unless you have an understanding of what we are talking about.

I am going to assume you have the adequate preparation – except that you have bad instructors, little guidance, or haven't done enough studying and worked enough problems. Those are all your problems and we can't help there. However, I can guide you on how an LPG line is sized in real life:

1) establish the available, allowable pressure drop in the line. You must know this or be in position to assume it. You cannot proceed without knowing what is the minimum driving force (pressure drop);

2) Always generate the Reynolds Number. For this you need to know the fluid velocity, viscosity, and density. You also have to assume a trial pipe size.

3) Establish the type of pipe proposed. With this, resolve the friction factor using the Colebrook equation or an explicit relationship like Serghides, Churchill, or Chen;

4) Use the Darcy-Weisbach equation to see if the size "fits" the diameter that you pre-selected.

You can set up a spread sheet in Excel – which I highly urge you and all other students to do – and do the calculations rather quickly. This is something that any good university should be teaching you to do. Also, obtain a copy of Crane Technical Paper #410 and read/study/work all the example problems that you find. In fact, I've already done this for you! Download the Excel Workbook that you find at the beginning of this Student Forum and start practicing how to solve fluid flow problems immediately.

Practice, practice, practice.